Adjustable vs. fixed-focus lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leabre

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Why is adjustable-focus so important? It always comes up as a defining factor when considering buying a canister light. Yet everyone I dive with or have dived with tends to focus it really tight and leave it that way. In that rare occasion it comes 'out of focus' it is prompty 'corrected'. Lately I've migrated to LED style lights and many I dive with have, also, which are fixed-focus and doesn't seem to be too much of a problem.

So I'm left wondering: is adjustable-focus really that important in the scheme of things?

My loaner 10W HID is fixed (narrow) focus, as is my wife's 21W LED. While my 21W HID is focusable, I've only ever defocused it a couple of times (when I left my video reflector at home and wanted to light up a few shots).

I agree, adjustable focus is pretty over-rated for the type of diving I do.

if you ever plan on diving with a videographer, having a light that you can slap a reflector and learn how to use is awesome... when you get tired of training dives or the same old same old playing a lighting grip can give you a new reason to get out into the water and be a part of something cool without having to buy the camera system :)

you can home brew diffusers out of orange juice bottles and things for non-adjustables, but reflector is much more elegant solution :wink:

if you ever plan on diving with a videographer, having a light that you can slap a reflector and learn how to use is awesome... when you get tired of training dives or the same old same old playing a lighting grip can give you a new reason to get out into the water and be a part of something cool without having to buy the camera system :)

you can home brew diffusers out of orange juice bottles and things for non-adjustables, but reflector is much more elegant solution :wink:

So it's not just about whether the light is focusable (I thought about that aspect de-focusing for potential video uses) but also about being able to remove the slug and put on a different reflector (video deflector)?

I own an MB-Sub VB-Cave light, and it's focusable, and the wide beam is very even and useful for looking at stuff without scaring away critters. I actually find myself using it fairly frequently.

Henrik

Correct. I have yet to find a light that is defocus-able enough without adding some kind of diffuser to be used with standard goodman handle/#3 reflector. you can make a diffuser that bungies on out of all sorts of semi-opaque materials things and that can work, but it decreases the 'throw' of the light and you need to remember to take it with you and also take it OFF before you get out of water as can melt rather rapidly if your light is on out of water :)

the best all around option is a reflector you have on a bolt snap or double ender, and swap out when its time :) if there is a chance you'll need to kind of side light something from close up whilst also having you the diver in the frame, having diffuser FOR the reflector is an additional bonus. (they are folgers coffee can lids and can be kept in pocket)

i say this because although at first it seems like a hassle, i've seen (and done) just as much fiddlefutzing with diffusers on standard goodman handles.

There are some folks who've made some really nice 'slide into place' diffusers that are kind of shock-corded to the side of the light and then 'slide over' but in that case its kind of on that light.

in the case of a reflector for the slug, i can just carry them and hand them out like party favors once we get to the subject of interest, and/or i can have divers swap them out if i want to change the diver in the frame.

this is going to likely sound cheesy, but the other thing about a reflector is it looks 'clean' (unless its one of my home brew ones with the pink duct tape on them). it can be in the frame but not distract or need to be cut out. its also not something that is going to be dangling around off the diver at just the wrong time if everyone is carrying around some funky home brew diffuser thingy.

So it's not just about whether the light is focusable (I thought about that aspect de-focusing for potential video uses) but also about being able to remove the slug and put on a different reflector (video deflector)?

I believe that historically, fixed focus lights were unable to produce the tight hotspot that focusable lights produce. I've seen a bunch of fixed focus 10/14w lights, and the adjustable 10/14w lights are able to produce a tighter spot. YMMV with brand and design, I suppose.

When doing night dives in clear water opening up the beam is great for sightseeing.

Yes, about the only time I open the focus on my light is for night diving in clear water. I would not spend a great deal of money on adjustable focus as an option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom