Advanced OW, should I do it before or during a liveaboard trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did our AOW in Cozumel. If I were to do it again, I would do it with my local LDS. No complaints with the dive op that did our AOW, but it would have been nice to have it out of the way. Those first five dives would be a little more enjoyable because you could relax more. HOWEVER.... I would do them on the liveaboard if it is more convenient for you. Better to do it there than not do it at all. It will be fun. Plus it is nice to have that certification, just in case... And you may learn a few things as well.

:guitar:

Just curious which live aboard are you using? Everyone has their own opinion, but for me, when I'm on vacation I wouldn't want to waste my time taking a class while everyone is out having fun. We took a trip to Australia a couple years ago, there's not much to see below 60' on the GBR unless you like looking at dead coral and sand. No matter what you decide I'm sure you'll have a great time, we are planning to go back in a year or two.

ColdH20diving wrote...
We took a trip to Australia a couple years ago, there's not much to see below 60' on the GBR unless you like looking at dead coral and sand.
Aside from the incredibly profilic life around the SS Yongala or the purple coral trees and reef sharks at Osprey Reef?

I agree with Cave Diver. Take it on-board. You'll get to know the dive staff very well this way, and they will have respect for you and your ability as a result of it. You'll learn as you night dive, drift dive, deep dive, etc. It will be a great experience for You. Don't ever stop learning. That's when You may get into trouble:)

ColdH20diving once bubbled...
Just curious which live aboard are you using?

I'm not sure yet, I'm opted for the riskier "book it when you get there." I'm thinking of Taka though, hopefully I'll be able to get a standby rate. I'm looking for the cheapest one going out to the coral sea.

h3o once bubbled...

I'm not sure yet, I'm opted for the riskier "book it when you get there." I'm thinking of Taka though, hopefully I'll be able to get a standby rate. I'm looking for the cheapest one going out to the coral sea.

OK I'm jealous. I've heard you can get some great prices on stand by. Have a great time.

metridium once bubbled...
Aside from the incredibly profilic life around the SS Yongala or the purple coral trees and reef sharks at Osprey Reef?

The SS Yongala is another story.... I've heard that's an awesome wreck dive. we made several dives on the GBR and off of Lizard Island our average depth was 45-55 ft, below 60-70 feet there was no live coral, at least where we were. Did see plenty of reef sharks.

My wife and I did AOW on a liveaboard in Australia (Nimrod Explorer). It was an afterthought because a DM mentioned it during an in-brief once we were underway.

We had only been certified for 6 months; however, we had around 50 dives during that time. We were experienced in 7 or 8 AOW categories, but nothing "official".

We thought we might as well "fill in the box" in case an operator required a C-card (and for $65, what a deal!).

The DM did not "pencil-whip" the form. He had us perform the skills on "Deep Dive", "Navigation", and "Night Dive". What was funny was the fact that we were already comfortable doing these dives in 10 - 15 ft vis, and here we were doing the same skills in 200 ft viz (we did a night navigation dive, and you could see the lights on the boat from anywhere).

Have a blast, and go to the Coral Sea or Northern GBR if you can.

Back
Top Bottom