Advantages/Disadvantages to your buddy being a family member

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fortunately I have yet to cross such a bridge but I have to believe I would risk myself more on behalf of a loved one. Setting aside the all for one and one for all bravado my wife is my wife.

As for other aspects.....

1) I know we will get to relive the dive through discussion when I dive with my wife. This is as opposed to a quick thanks for the dive, I gotta run that happens before my rear is repacked.

2) When it's time to spend $$ it goes a lot easier when we pull on the proverbial purse strings together.

3) It adds another common interest to our relationship.

As TS&M mentioned dominance needs to be managed. My wife makes about 4 dives to my 10. As such she'd usually be more than wiling to tag along and let me drive. When I'm with her I intentionally have her do her share of the planning and navigating.

Pete

This is a timely topic. Tomorrow my GF and I are going diving for the weekend. In addition she is also taking instruction from me. An AOW do over for her. We have been diving before last year together in a shallow quarry and she also came along on some OW checkouts. However this is different as we have been talking about how the dynamic will work with me in the instructor as well as buddy role. She has asked me to challenge her and my course is designed to do that. There are though some differences in how those challenges will play out as she is not a new diver. She has nearly 200 dives. Most of them in the Caribbean off of a liveaboard with nearly unlimited vis. Last weekend in this lake with other students the good spots were 8-10 feet and at 50 it was friggin dark.

I am going to be very conscious of her limits and mine when it comes to how far to push the skills envelope. I won't go easy just because we are a couple. That would be an insult to her abilities which are very good by the way. Not just for a vacation diver but for any diver.

There is an area or two where she has little interest in becoming an expert. But the skills gained in them do carry over into every area of diving. UW Nav and Search and Recovery. It is unlikely that she will ever get involved in salvage or leading groups on multi legged course dives. But the basic ability to use a comapss and natural nav as well as a reel and line can benefit any diver in many situations and the buoyancy control needed to manage your own buoyancy as well as a lift bag is valuable knowledge and task loading.

How far I will push her is up to her. But I am fortunate in that she is not afraid to work hard in any area, is willing to take some risks and push the envelope, and is quite capable in many areas that require physical prowess. (She smokes me on a bicycle and makes it look easy) As well as being highly intelligent and quite capable of quick decision making and very organized and cool under pressure.

But I do know that when we are actually going through some of the more challenging parts of my course I will be on high alert. I'm that way with every student at those times but the fact that I do love her is going to heighten those senses even more.

I think that spouses, partners, parents, and children all feel a sense of added responsibility. and we should. It is part of being human in that sense. But we also do those loved ones no favor at all when we carry them. It's why I have kids that are training with parents go through the rescue scenarios with the parents. It benefits both when a 12 yr old shows that he or she is capable, as a new OW diver, of bringing their much bigger parent up from the bottom or getting control of them in a panic situation. This is not false confidence but a very real necessary part of diving as a family. I would want the diver to be able to say "at least I was able to do something" if an incident occurred instead of standing by helplessly and watching a tragedy unfold. That would go a long way towards the healing that would need to occur later.

It's a big reason that taking basic rescue skills out of the OW class in the name of expediency was, in my opinion, an incredibly stupid move by those who elected to do that. They should be ashamed. If I am diving with a loved one why would I think it is ok to not know how to help if a problem occurred?

Last edited:
Greetings EFB and what a great thread that has created some awesome dialog!
I agree with many opinions that have been shared and it is a very serious issue that you have to address with your spouse, son, or daughter.
I struck this issue on year two of my wife and I's diving.
It was brought to my attention by our instructor to STOP CODDLING HER!
What I discovered was that I was not allowing her to take the lead in many areas that she should be self reliant in.
IT WAS MY FAULT! Do not allow this to happen because it much harder to undo bad habits than to never let them become engrained.

When my daughter started to dive I forced her to become non-relient on anyone but be a good buddy as well!
It is odd that she is a very competent diver who is conscious of her buddy but able to handle herself in the water.
I was not going to repeat my mistake.
We as loved ones can handicap each other as others have alluded to THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE! It breads disaster!

There is a balance that a diving family needs to maintain that keeps everyone safe and dives enjoyable.
You have to follow the rules and dive to the level of training and experience of the diver with the lowest level of training. NO EXCEPTIONS!
If things start to go awry discontinue the dive immediately, before it snow balls into a worse scene.
If you allow it or the situation calls for the horrible choice it will be up to you to decide!
I have heard Tech instructors admit that they would leave a buddy if they had to but I have heard the same person admit if it was his daughter he would surrender his tanks in a heart beat if need be. It is how we are wired in a life and death with loved ones..

Saddest dive fatality I have ever heard of was the fathers who allowed his son to free dive down and breath off his alternate.
This became a familiar practice so he grew used to it.
All was well till the son swam down and then held his breath on the ascent and died on the surface due to lung embolization.
The father had no clue and surfaced to his son floating on the surface.
Diving is a pretty safe activity as long as you train to minimize the risks and make solid good judgement choices.
The environment we dive in rarely allows for second choices WE MUST MAKE GOOD CHOICES!

I love diving and diving with my family but I will NEVER allow any poor training or BAD habits to put any of us in harms way!
When I say ANY i mean me as well that was our family commitment once we righted our coarse and dive training commitment!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Great thread! My diving buddy is my husband. I think it is a great advantage because we have our pre-dive check and routine down pretty well and have developed buddy skills to always be aware of each other. (Especially in terrible viz like last weekend in Mt Storm Lake doing AOW with Jim Lapenta). I have never dived with anyone else and suspect I am more attentive to him than I would be with an insta-buddy, but I think that's a good thing. As someone else said earlier, I do think I would take more risks in a rescue situation with him ... possibly turning 1 victim into 2... I know... I know... but because of our close contact as buddies, I believe we are much less likely to have a situation get out of hand. Probably my biggest concern is I don't really know how he would react if faced with a situation that could escalate into panic -- I've been there myself a couple of times and have learned my training does come rushing into my head and I can talk myself down. I fear he doesn't have the same awareness of what might be happening to himself in similar scary situations.
Jim, you guys have a great time this weekend! Tell E we said Hey!

Will do Ginny. I should have your cards on Monday and will mail them out with your t-shirts after work on Tuesday. Priority mail you should have them Thursday. And thanks again for being such great students. I'd dive with either of you any time and trust somebody I cared about to dive with you as well. Let it be known that LoonDiver is also cool under pressure.

My wife and I are buddies and we love having a major argument underwater, funny how it always comes down to a single finger jesture!

Peter and I did a dive in MX last year where I was leading and told him to do something, and then realized it wasn't going to work, so I signaled him to come back. He refused and we got into a bit of an argument underwater, which ended up in pulling out the wetnotes and discussing the situation. (He then realized what I had, and everything was okay.)

Anyway, our third team member said that, under normal conditions, when the wetnotes came out, he'd have thumbed the dive (on the theory that people were too confused to be safe, I guess). But he said, "Since it was YOU guys, I thought I'd wait and see what happened."

The first independent dive he and I did together as newly certified divers, we made it about 50 feet before we had to surface and have an argument. Not much has changed . . . :D

I find diving with my wife less enjoyable than diving with freinds. As someone else pointed out the dynamics of the above water relationship carry into the water. This means I tend to worry about her much more than I would someone else

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom