Adventure Diver to AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rewob65

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi
I recently passed Adventure Diver by taking the following three adventure dives. Deep Dive, Peak Performance and Underwater Navigation. I have also taken a Dry Suit speciality. Therefore I have four adventure dives.
I was talking to my local dive centre about adding a Wreck Dive speciality to get AOW and she said that Adventure Diver was three adventure dives and then to get AOW I needed to do Deep Dive and Underwater Navigation. So I had done it in the wrong order and needed to redo them (Deep Dive and Underwater Naviagion) to get to AOW.
No where can I find whether this is 100% and I guess most people do AOW in one go. To me the order did not seem important espcially as you cannot do a wreck dive until you have the Adventure Dive.
Does anyone know where there is definitive advice?

Were you talking to the instructor or a sales person at the dive centre? That is an incorrect interpretation based on PADI's website. I'm assuming PADI is their training organization affiliation. It should be 5 adventure dives, 2 of which are deep and nav. I would just shoot an email to PADI with your specific details and get the answer directly from them. That way you have a direct response from PADI to show the dive shop if they continue to try to stick to that horrible inaccurate interpretation.

You have been given the wrong information.
Padi Standards

Certification Requirements

For Adventure Diver, student divers meet performance
requirements:

• Complete three Adventure Dives.
• Complete the three Knowledge Reviews for the
completed Adventure Dives.
• Complete Thinking Like a Diver Knowledge
Development section.

For Advanced Open Water Diver, student divers meet
performance requirements
:
• Complete five Adventure Dives including Deep and
Underwater Navigation.
• Complete the five Knowledge Reviews for the
completed Adventure Dives.
• Complete Thinking Like a Diver Knowledge
Development section.

You need to speak to an Instructor.
I think maybe whoever you spoke with misinterpreted what you asked or simply does not know the standards.

Thanks for that I didn't think of contacting PADI direct. It was the owner of the local dive school, who I don't think was just trying to sell more.
I would say the school has excellent training and approach to safety far above the other PADI schools were I have dived.

Probably just misunderstanding then.
Most adventure divers I have come across have not done Nav or Deep as these are the more "difficult" ones.
These are the divers who's "Adventure Dives" were often "sold" to them on vacation as an easy way to AOW.
Often they have no AOW manual, no real concept of "thinking like a diver" and actually need more than just Deep and Nav to really qualify as AOW.
If the dive shop is a good one, take your logbook and go back to them.

Thanks Terry. To be fair to the school this is what is suggested but there was still doubt. I was surprised that dive schools do not seem to upload the adventure dives associated with a new qualification. At the end of the day it is my log book that is relied on for the dives which cynically may have been made up as far as a dive school is concerned.

Thanks Terry. To be fair to the school this is what is suggested but there was still doubt. I was surprised that dive schools do not seem to upload the adventure dives associated with a new qualification. At the end of the day it is my log book that is relied on for the dives which cynically may have been made up as far as a dive school is concerned.
If they distrust your logbook (hopefully signed, dated, and with an instructor number...they were training dives, after all) then are you sure you want to trust THEM?

My AOW course consisted of four dives over two days. They included buoyancy control, navigation, search & recovery, deep, drift, and wreck.

My AOW course consisted of four dives over two days. They included buoyancy control, navigation, search & recovery, deep, drift, and wreck.
?? You just listed 6, not 4, dives??

?? You just listed 6, not 4, dives??
They did several skills on each dive. Buoyancy Control and Navigation were done on one dive, Search and Recovery on another dive, and two deep wreck drift dives.

Back
Top Bottom