Adventure Diver to AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I realize I am not being clear.

We agree that AOW or adventure diver is required for taking the deep diver course.

My question is, does a diver need to have qualified as an adventure diver (3 adventure dives) before doing the deep adventure dive?

On page 32 of PADI's Instructor Guide / Standards it states the prerequisite for the Deep Diver Specialty course is a minimum of Adventure Diver.

On page 77 [Adventure Diver section] it states
Diver Prerequisites
• Certified as PADI (Junior) Open Water Diver
Check Section Two for minimum age prerequisites specific to each Adventure Dive.

Minimum age is 12 for Deep Adventure Diver.

I can understand the confusion. Like boulderjohn, I've never witnessed anyone going the Adventure Diver route then taking AOW.

Or asking in a different way: is a diver allowed to have a deep adventure dive enroute to becoming an adventure diver? (nevermind that there isn't much value to this).
See Shurite7's post--it can happen, depending upon the diver's age.

can you get master diver by using adventure diver in lue of AOW. Or perhaps getting master diver with certification card classes such as deep nav dru suist etc with out ever having a AOW card. Could it be that is the best way but the provisioins of AOW provides a fasterpath as a SHORTCUT TO THAT ADVENTURE DIVER LONGER PROCESS. so you either take adventure and the formal card given classes to get to master or do the quick and dirty to master by taking AOW.???

can you get master diver by using adventure diver in lue of AOW. Or perhaps getting master diver with certification card classes such as deep nav dru suist etc with out ever having a AOW card. Could it be that is the best way but the provisioins of AOW provides a fasterpath as a SHORTCUT TO THAT ADVENTURE DIVER LONGER PROCESS. so you either take adventure and the formal card given classes to get to master or do the quick and dirty to master by taking AOW.???
I have to admit that I do not fully understand this question.

You have to have AOW, or at least Junior AOW, to get the master diver rating. Adventure Diver will not do it.

I may be misunderstanding, but I am not sure why AOW (which requires 5 dives) is a shortcut instead of Adventure Diver (which requires 3 dives). How is 5 dives faster than 3?

Adventure Diver is a very rare certification that is is something of a temporary placeholder for people who cannot get the AOW for some reason but want to take a course like Rescue Diver.

Your question(s?) needs some clarification; not quite sure what you are referring to. I'll answer the first sentence. No. See next line for standards, page 110:

The Master Scuba Diver rating is the highest recreational diver rating in the PADI System, and denotes a diver with superior experience and achievement.
Certification Requirements
• 12 years old Note: 12-14 year old divers may earn Junior Master Scuba Diver certifications.
• Certified as a PADI (Junior) Advanced Open Water Diver, a PADI (Junior) Rescue Diver, and certification in five PADI Specialty [note: it states specialty, not adventure - my words inside brackets] or TecRec courses.
Note: Specialty diver or TecRec certifications must be PADI – no other
certifications qualify.
• Logged 50 dives

Did you go into your AOW class having already completed any specialty certs that they could have counted for the 5th dive? (Assuming we're talking PADI)

Deep wreck drift dives?

Were the wrecks drifting?

For PADI AOW, you have to do 5 dives. You can't combine two adventure dives on one dive and cut down the total number. You can repeat skills on multiple dives. As I said earlier, I have run out of time on the navigation dive and finished it off while doing another dive. I also like to build skills. For example, once we have done compass navigation, I usually have the students use compass navigation on later dives, assuming it would be appropriate to do so. If you are doing two wreck dives and using one one for, say, fish identification, there would be no harm in repeating some of the wreck skills on the second dive. It would even be OK to do fish identification and wreck skills on both dives, as long as it is two dives.

If you did only four dives, and if you did not already have a specialty that would count as a dive, then your instructor violated standards.

I only had to do four dives for PADI AOW. The first two were shallow (<40 feet), Buoyancy Control, Navigation, and Search & Recovery. The last two were deep drift dives on wrecks (90+ feet).

I only had to do four dives for PADI AOW. The first two were shallow (<40 feet), Buoyancy Control, Navigation, and Search & Recovery. The last two were deep drift dives on wrecks (90+ feet).
If you paid for an AOW and only got 4 dives, the instructor violated standards and ripped you off for all the dives you paid for.

Your question(s?) needs some clarification; not quite sure what you are referring to. I'll answer the first sentence. No. See next line for standards, page 110:

The Master Scuba Diver rating is the highest recreational diver rating in the PADI System, and denotes a diver with superior experience and achievement.
Certification Requirements
• 12 years old Note: 12-14 year old divers may earn Junior Master Scuba Diver certifications.
• Certified as a PADI (Junior) Advanced Open Water Diver, a PADI (Junior) Rescue Diver, and certification in five PADI Specialty [note: it states specialty, not adventure - my words inside brackets] or TecRec courses.
Note: Specialty diver or TecRec certifications must be PADI – no other
certifications qualify.
• Logged 50 dives

thanks that answered what I wanted to know AOW is mandatory for Master.

I have to admit that I do not fully understand this question.

You have to have AOW, or at least Junior AOW, to get the master diver rating. Adventure Diver will not do it.

I may be misunderstanding, but I am not sure why AOW (which requires 5 dives) is a shortcut instead of Adventure Diver (which requires 3 dives). How is 5 dives faster than 3?

Adventure Diver is a very rare certification that is is something of a temporary placeholder for people who cannot get the AOW for some reason but want to take a course like Rescue Diver.

Yo willhave to bear with this. I though that perhaps the goal to get master was to have x amount of exposure. wither AOW with exposure dives or actual credited courses as a substitute. IE if you were OW and you took formal nav deep buoyancy etc you could bypass the aow EXPERIENCE dives beause you had the full course counted. that would make the AOW a shortcut as opposed to taking 4-6 different classes.

Let me pose a different question: what is there to learn in AOW that would not be already taught is separate classes such as deep buoyancy nav night wreck nitrox boat . I realize few if any would go that route but the question still stands.

If this sutuation came up with one of your students would you request a formal wavier or request a AOW card based on his other cards held. Then allow the student to use themoney for a perhaps rescue class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom