Advice: Divemaster Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Statick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get qualified as a PADI Divemaster this December/January and I think I have narrowed down my options. I'd love some input on these dive operations and these dive locations in general.

The options, in no specific order, are:
1) Utila Dive Centre, obviously on Utila
2) Alton's Dive Centre, on Utila
3) Underwater Vision, also on Utila
4) Divemaster Internships, on Cozumel
5) Dive Down Below, in Kota Kinabalu (Malaysia)
6) Scuba Junkie Komodo, in Labuan Bajo (Indonesia)

If there's another operation you would recommend, please do let me know.

I know its best to take your DM training where one intends to work, but I'm not entirely sure I'll start working too soon. Depending on how some other things go here on land, I'd be more likely to start working a little later once successfully getting certified as an Open Water Instructor.

Thanks for any input!

It's difficult to make a decent living as a scuba instructor, and much harder as a DM. At least at Western scales of pay. Not that you shouldn't do this, just understand how it works before you spend the time and money. And I am not familiar with any of these centers.

If you are going to get a job working as a DM in a reort area, you pretty much have to be an instructor. They will be looking for people with the best working flexibility for hiring. If I were you and you want to go to one of these places, I would plan it all the way through, not jsut the first step.

If that's your plan, consider a facility like Rainbow Reef in Key Largo that has a long internship program where you have to complete so many days at each of the jobs in the shop, on land, on the boat, & in the water in between the courses in order to have real world experience and be ready for that course.

It's difficult to make a decent living as a scuba instructor, and much harder as a DM. At least at Western scales of pay. Not that you shouldn't do this, just understand how it works before you spend the time and money. And I am not familiar with any of these centers.

Thanks Kevin - I am familiar with the potential pay. As I've stated, I'm not entirely sure when and how it will pan out, but I know getting qualified as a DM is the first step... and it'll also give me a chance to spend some time somewhere interesting while learning something I want to and logging some serious bottom-time.

If you are going to get a job working as a DM in a reort area, you pretty much have to be an instructor. They will be looking for people with the best working flexibility for hiring. If I were you and you want to go to one of these places, I would plan it all the way through, not jsut the first step.

Thanks for this, John. I would like to see it all the way through, I unfortunately don't have as much time for that. If I'm able to make that kind of time, I certainly will.

If that's your plan, consider a facility like Rainbow Reef in Key Largo that has a long internship program where you have to complete so many days at each of the jobs in the shop, on land, on the boat, & in the water in between the courses in order to have real world experience and be ready for that course.

A longer internship would certainly be preferable, but as I'm not sure how and when I might take this further, I can't really take the time for a longer internship.

Just a suggested read - Scuba Professional by Simon Pridmore is written for people like you, you may find it an invaluable resource as you head towards a pro career.

Back
Top Bottom