Advice for a land-locked diver on the eve of her return to the deep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemistress

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Over a year since I've dived anywhere but the local pool. And I'm jonesing for compressed air. And salt water. And a sunburned nose, and knots in my hair from the wind coming in over the bow of a boat.

I'm not used to waiting this long between dive trips. My first three years certified I averaged nearly 75 dives a year, while moving from OW to AI. But family matters intervened, and I had to take some time off. But swore to myself that the first chance I got, I'd head south.

Saturday! One-and-a-half more days! By Sunday I'll be in another, better world.

Anything I should know? Anything you wished someone had told you, or you had remembered, before your last dive trip?

The basics, anything that's been posted in this forum in the past six or so months, I've got :)......My gear is serviced, I've got conditioner and a swim cap for my hair. Can't afford a new BC, can't afford a new dive bag, but I did spring for ... Hyperstretch.

The hype is true! Maybe the suit will pill, sag and hold water. Maybe it won't be as warm as standard neoprene. But compared to my other wetsuits, this 5 mm was a breeze to pull on. In fact, I wearing it as I sit here typing -- making sure it's the right size, making sure it fits. All women with pronounced curves -- try it, you'll love it. The best part for me? No more holding my breath, wondering whether the zipper with give way, as I pull it over my hips. That alone is worth the $$$.

I'm starting to ramble, starting to doze off as well. So I'll ask once again for any diving tips, any packing tips, any any tips before I leave for a week on a liveaboard, where all I plan to do is dive, sleep and eat, ideally in that order.

Time to take my new wetsuit off and put it too bed. The maybe it's time to put me to bed too. Where I'll dream of cramped bedrooms, great food and five lovely dives a day.

TIA,

DM

divemistress,
Honestly have a great time. Enjoy every moment. Sit on the boat and watch the sunset. Loose yourself in the moment as much as possible. I envy you big time. Dive safely.

Relax. Think your dives through. After the first 5 minutes, it'll be like you never left. Have a grand time.

When we did the Nekton Pilot I had a bathing suit per day plus 3 shirts (one was a sweatshirt), a summer skirt and 2 pairs of shorts as well as clean undies for each day. That was plenty since we only had one shore excursion on a populated island and the rest of the time was spent on the boat with the exception of one stop on an uninhabited island.
A little bottle of Woolite or Ivory dish soap was nice for washing the salt out of bathing suits before hanging them to dry.

Have a great time!
Ber :bunny:

thanks, ber, i needed that. although i've gone on half a dozen liveaboards before, and therefore know better, i've got half my worldly possessions scattered about the family room. i've spent the afternoon trying to squeeze them into my dive bag and still stay under american airlines 50 lb baggage limit.

sigh.

i remember when i was young, and lived out of a backpack for six months!

Just lay 4 1-gallon baggies on the floor in a square. Clothing that fits in the area taken up by the baggies can go, once you've filled the area you're done packing :)

No make-up! You're gorgeous just the way you are!
Stick to the basics: Shampoo, conditioner, soap, face wash, razor, hairbrush and moisturizing lotion. It's a boat, you don't need deodorant either :D

I pack a good first aid kit and my dive gear and that accounts for about 48 lbs in my bag, the other 2 lbs are for clothing, shoes and toiletries.

Good luck :)
Ber :bunny:

well, that's one bag i'm leaving at home.

i guess that means no jewelry, either :)

what else do i get to leave?

You probably already do this, but in case you don't: when traveling I always pack a small thing of bug spray (bug oil from REI). Even though you're on a boat, you may still have to deal with bugs. Also, waterproof sun block can serve a dual purpose by creating a thin layer of protection from things that can sting in the water (i.e. stinging hydra, jellyfish...etc.) for exposed skin underwater.

Instead of packing a a large amount of shampoo & conditioner, when I am away (usually on tiny tiny islands with little to no fresh water), I pack a small thing of shampoo and a bottle of spray-in conditioner/detangler (Back to Basics Sunflower Detangler is my favorite and a little bit goes a long way). Spraying that in and running a comb through my hair after dive is almost as good as washing my hair and perfect for when I don't really have the luxury of the shower or the time.

Have a great time!!! :D

Actually ... take those baggies (make them ziplock!) and use them for packing! I found using the super-large size to neatly pack groups of clothes in was a great space saver and organizer. Just pack each bag, zip almost closed, press the air out & close the zipper. Works just like those expensive "Space" bags and your clothes then fit in a much smaller case ..... (Or you can fit more in your larger case!!!)

Have a terrific time!! :D

Baby - as cliche as it sounds, it's like riding a bike - you stick that beeeyootiful face under the water, and you see what d'heck is under there..........and you are on your way again!!

Advice?? Upon return,turn your back to the dive boat/ shore so you can clear your face of boogers before pulling your mask off in front of everyone!:)

Back
Top Bottom