Advice for Beginners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The boat we dived from was a pretty small boat. It was only a couple of feet from the boat to the surface. The waves were big, but when the wave pitched up, so did the boat, when it went down, so did the boat. We were never more than a few feet from the surface. As far as backroll practice, maybe try to find a dock or a boat to practice from before you go. If not, you will probably get a sort of trial run on your first checkout dive with the DM in more favorable conditions, assuming that is how your DM will have you exit the boat. Your setup and boat size and style may be different and you may end up doing a giant stride. If you do the backroll entry, just remember to take a hit off the reg before you enter to make sure it's on. Add a little air to your BC so you are buoyant at the surface, but not so much that you can't slip under the surface a little when you hit the water. You want to slip under the surface a little to ease the impact with the water. With one hand, cradle your guages and alt. air source so nothing snags on the boat as you roll into the water. The last thing you need is to have your guages or something ripped from your first stage as you enter. With your other hand, hold your mask on and your regulator in your mouth so they aren't dislodged upon entry. Make sure your fins are clear so you don't snag your fin on something in the boat and break your leg or something. Finally, look each way over both shoulders to make sure it is all clear so you don't fall on someone and konk them with your tank. Then just roll back and enjoy.

Also you might want to check out a book called "Lonely Planet Diving and Snorkelling Belize." It's a great book..very helpful. I describe the book's contents in two posts I made in Gaucho's thread in the Central & South America section of the board titled "Belize for the New Year - Help Please"

Marral,

Don't worry yourself over the backroll entry. A larger boat should have a platform to stride off and like Zagnut said the smaller boats are not far above the water.

I did the backroll entry on my very first dive after OWC (done in a lake from shore). We also had 4'-5' swells. I was nervous, but just did like Zagnut said, make sure air is on, mask, reg and gauges secure. The only difference is our DM told us to go right under and meet just below the surface so we wouldn't be jostled around by the swells.

It was a piece of cake. I thought falling over backwards on my tank might hurt my backor knock the wind out of me, but I barely felt it. It was a nice smooth entry. Just look out for other divers, my brother-in-law caught a leg to the head by another diver that was a bit too close. No harm done. We just went over the side and rolled face down upon entry. We ended up doing all 4 boat dives in that manner.

If you can find a place to practice, great, you will be that much more comfortable doing it in the sea, if not, don't worry too much about it, you shouldn't have any problems.

Kathy

Who dove with Fishkiller this morning!

Actually we did the same thing. We descended as soon as we hit the water and regrouped at about 50'. Six foot waves have a tendency to want to smack you up against the side of the boat. Your DM will fill you in on the particulars of your dive plan. She is also right, in that, it's really nothing to worry about. It's as easy as... well,.. as falling off a boat.. :)

Callie or Fishkiller,

Tell us more. How was the dive? Any surprises? (Is Fishkiller the same charming devil in person that he is in cyberperson?)(Is Callie the same delightful femme fatale in person that she is in postings?)

The world wonders...(to misuse a quote of Adm. Nimitz...see Battle of Leyte Gulf, "Bull" Halsey, etc...)

Joewr...even I wonder...

Never be afraid to inform the DM on the board of your inexperience. They are there to assist you in having a grand time. As for other divers on the boat, with yours (and RalphDog's) enthusiasm alone will have them welcoming you into the work of diving.

Take your time to kit up, sometimes if you're a wee bit to eager to get in the water you'll forget something that's very important. As others have said, even those with many, many dives under their belt have done something "silly". Among which are: forget their weight belt, forget to remove sunglasses and place mask on, forget fins…. well the list can go on.

Night dives. That's your call, but a few more dives might be in order. If you really want to do one, try to do it on a site you did the same day in daylight hours, and keep it relatively shallow.

Just my 0.02 worth

Thought I would share something I learned recently from a new instructor in our program at the university. You can practice a backroll entry from the side of a pool even if the "trench" below the edge sticks out fairly far.

Stand with your back to the water, your heels should be near the edge of the pool. Place all of your hoses in front of you so you can keep them close to your body. Place one hand over with your palm over your regulator, your fingers pressing your mask to your face. Your other hand should be on your mask strap, make sure your elbow is close to your head, no "chicken wing" elbow sticking out. This will keep your hoses that are coming over your shoulder under control. Squat down while leaning slightly forward to keep your balance. Scoot backward until your heels dangle over the edge of the pool. The arch of your foot should be as close to the edge as you can get it without falling in. When you are ready, bend your knees to squat as low as you can, peek under the elbow of the arm holding the mask strap to make sure your landing area is clear and simply fall backward. This method feels exactly like doing a backroll from a platform that is approximately 3 feet above the water's surface (we have one we use for our scuba program). When you hit the water, relax and you will naturally tend to rise toward the surface. Any backroll can be a little disorienting so relaxing while you determine which way is up is a good idea.

Safe diving! Hope this helps, I know it works because I had to try it after I saw the new instructor do it!

Ber :bunny:

Can't help you with the back roll...have yet to do one gracefully! CAN they be done gracefully???

One thing about the night dive...if you get a chance the first or second night you are there, try snorkeling at night. I've never been to Belize, but there are probably some shallow snorkeling places (and its free!!). Even if they seem dead during the day, they will come alive at night. One of the best night dives here (Guam) is nothing but sand, sea cucumbers and stray sea urchins in the day...but you can see EVERYTHING at night. Max depth is 25ft, and the best things are in 5 FT of water. Baby squid, baby eels and octopus, lionfish, spanish dancers...its marine nursery! Snorkeling at night will get you used to focusing on what is at the end of your flashlight, and give you an idea of what to expect during a night dive. It is AWESOME!!

Regarding backrolls,
All the advice given so far is right on the money-hoses in, hands on.. , etc., and the ways to practice are also helpful.
The other info about adapting to the specific situation is equally important- air in BC vs empty BC, surface/don't surface-all are important considerations.
The best (?) advice about backrolls I ever heard was form a DM in the Bahamas, who said to another diver, (after all her gear was properly arranged, etc.)
" lift your knees,then lean back until you fall off the boat, and try to not land on any of the sharks"
So much for technique- but it works!
MikeD

As far as not looking like a newbie, don't worry about it. The only time I mind diving with a newbie is when I don't know it before hand. If I know I can help, if I don't and it becomes apparent during a dive it spoils it for me because I feel I have to be watching the other diver more.

As far as tipping, I generally tip if the DM's are good. I tip around $20 US per boat trip.

As far as night diving, go for it. Just make sure you know how to navigate well before you do. Also, take at least 2 lights. One primary and one backup. I went night diving right after I got my OW card. I would be careful of the location. If it is one you know well then have fun. If not, diving it during daylight so you know where you are.

As far as advice, never be afraid to bag a dive, make a good gear check list to avoid forgetting equipment. Set your gear up in the same order every time.

Have fun!

ScottRi

Back
Top Bottom