Advice for brand new diver in Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ErikNYC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello,

I'm new here, and I will be taking my first boat dive as a new certified Padi diver next month in Jamaica. I'm kind of nervous, however confident as far as diving in open waters, but do not want to hold anyone behind, due to my lack of experience.

Christian from Jamaica Scuba Divers whom I will be using to dive when I arrive stated, "All of dives are lead by an Instructor or Divemaster, so we all stay together as a group and we are all each other buddies. Either the planned time or air consumption will determine the end of the dive.".

Are there any advice from you veterans, as far as not being nervous to dive with experience divers, maybe cocky ones as well? I will be making four dives while there. Thank you.

Last edited:
Welcome to diving, Erik!

The thing to remember for your trip is that everybody out there had a first time sometime. Be honest with the dive operator about your novice status, and if you don't feel comfortable, see if you can hire your own guide to dive with you. I personally would never accept the "we are all each other's buddies" arrangement -- if everyone is your buddy, then in reality, no one is your buddy, because no one has accepted the responsibility of remaining within helping range of you. I always insist on having one or two people who are MY designated buddies, so I know who I have agreed to help, and who has agreed to be available to help me, if that's needed.

You may be surprised . . . some of us really LIKE diving with newer divers and showing them all the cool stuff that more experienced and jaded divers have stopped marveling at.

Please go ahead and team up with someone as your designated buddy, that's always a good idea. When I dove in Jamaica (my first as a certified diver), the terrain was fairly flat and uneventful. It's not a bad location for a first dive as far as diving goes. What they had us do, when the divemaster called the dive, we all got in a circle, emptied our bc, grabbed the person next to us with our right hand and swam up to the surface. I would not put up with that arrangement now, but at the time it seemed like a good way to do things

I did my first dives after open water in Jamaica, I did my open water in Hawaii with 8ft surges and waves, so Jamaica was very relaxing :cool2: But a first for me was doing safety stops alone, all the dives are lead by guides, I think it's the law for all tourist with dive ops. Even though we were grouped together and had buddies it's wasn't uncommon for you to do your safety stop alone. I've found this is common practice at other places too on shallow dives. But don't worry just stay calm and let your buddy know you are new and watch your air consumption. Just remember your training, you'll be okay.

My advice is have fun! Follow your training. Meet and pair up with a buddy and do a good pre-dive check and talk to each other. Don't worry about holding anyone back. I find that on resort destination dive boats the new divers are often among the best divers because they remember and follow their training. Do that and you'll be fine.
DivemasterDennis

Thank you for all the positive input. I did let the dive operator know ahead of time that I'm newly certified and it will be my first boat dive. I'm confident everything will go well, and I can handle what I was taught during my training. However, the forum is on of the best place to get valuable information.

Either way I'm willing and ready for this trip! I have all my gear and even a nice dive watch.

Keep any advice you may have for me and others going... Thanks.

We love diving in Jamaica. First went in 2003, from Couples Negril, with the on-site dive op, and our impression was that the diving was easy, but that the fish populations were dissappointing. Went back in 2008, back to Couples Negril, but dove with Sundivers in Negril. Still easy diving, but in five years, the fish were back. Now planning our trip for 2013, back to Couples, and back to Sundivers, and our expectations are heighten by what we are seeing on the message boards.

Both my wife and I had our first open water dives in Cozumel, MX, albeit about 25 years apart, and while we are both comfortable there, a new diver would be much more comfortable in Jamaica (especially Negril).

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom