Advice for caring for blue beads from Statia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bbarnes

Contributor
Reaction score
We were lucky enough to find two full blue beads as well as 2 partial blue beads on our recent trip to Statia (St. Eustatius). My question is this...Is there anything that I need to do in order to preserve them? The dive shop owners at Golden Rock says that they soak the bottles that they find in fresh water for a couple of months. Anyone know what we should do?? Any help would be appreciated.

Soaking them in distilled water would be a very prudent first step. What are the beads made of? If they are glass, there's nothing really to do. Water (or salt) can't penetrate into the material. If they are ceramic based, then a much longer soak would be in order. After that I'm not sure about the recommended conservation of ceramics.

Congrats on the find though! I have heard of the those blue beads before. Just make sure that you display them nicely. Always a shame when people make nice finds, then throw them in a drawer.

FD

They are made of blue glass, supposedly produced circa 1660 so I would hate to kill something that had managed to survive so long on its own!

One more thought here. If they are like many of the things I have pulled from the sand, it may have a very dull look from being scoured for so long. So their dried appearance might be very different from when they are immersed in water. If you want them to look shiny, you might look up somebody who is into lapidary (stone/gem cutting and polishing). They could probably buff it back to a more normal appearance.

Of course the caveat for all treasure is to "leave it as it is, or leave it to the professionals." But only you can decide what you want the final item to look like.

FD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom