Advice for diving in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

martinetti

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone,

I am planning a trip to Thailand in 2011 and I would like some suggestions.

First, I have to decide between april or february (what are the pros and cons)?

Second, I am looking for a more "natural" place, near a national park for instance... maybe Phuket is too overcrowded for me?

Third, I may well visit two diving sites (diving 2-3 days each place), any suggestions?

Thank you.

With regards the timing, I'd go for February as this is the better time to dive the west coast of Thailand.

Two destinations ? Khao Lak and Koh Lanta - neither are big tourist hubs like Phuket. From Khao Lak you can get to Richelieu Rock and the Similans, and from Lanta you can dive Hin Daeng, Koh ha and around Phi Phi.

During February Koh Chang (trat province) the diving is ok but in April the season is ending and can be a bit hit and miss. Overall the diving in Koh Chang can be good but not as spectacular as South Thailand.
The Island is predominantly a national park with lots of natural jungle and tourist development kept to the perimeter. It can be very quiet, particularly in the East side, in the west side, white sands and kaibae being the bigger more developed tourist areas.
I like it there, its worth consideration.
With regard to the diving, there are loads of shops, but many close between may-september. My favourite is Scuba evolution in White Sands check out their website, also OK divers in Kaibae are good.

If you end up coming in February, come later in the month; if you come in April, try to aim for early in the month. At either time, do plan to visit the west (Andaman) coast if you are looking for the best diving you can get.

As to going to two destinations, my advice would be:
1) Spend 4 days / 4 nights on a liveaboard to the Similans and the Surins National Parks for diving. Phuket or Khao Lak would be convenient for jumping on a liveaboard. (And Phuket is a large island, parts of which are busy and other parts quiet, so you can easily avoid crowded areas if you want.)

2) Spend a couple of days at Koh Lipe, down south on the Malaysian border. The diving is excellent, and the island is part of Tarutao National Park.

Enjoy your stay in Thailand!

As Quero said for the timing. Although in our area some hotels drop their prices from mid April if that is a concern to your budget. Krabi has a good choice if you want anything from busy to a sleepy hollow. National Park close too.

From here you can get 8 dive overnight trips that take in Phi Phi, Hin Daeng and Koh Haa Yai in comfort with an overnight stop on Phi Phi. Plenty of options for day trips too. To top it all you can get a transfer over to Khao Lak for the liveaboard option. So much choice!

Khao Sok National Park is close to Khao Lak too. I hear it's amazing there......
It is an amazing place to stay although things may have changed since I was there in '97. I recall almost being deafened by the noises of nature during the night in a nice way. I also remember sitting in the outdoor restaurant where I stayed and was having a conversation when from under the table, a small tree frog made an appearence and jumped on my lap. Was a slight shock but he seems nonplussed and hopped on his way! Gibbons singing in the morning....bliss.

Back
Top Bottom