Advice for first timer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

Hoping someone may be able to offer some advice, I'm looking at doing a twin/multi-centre break to Thailand, end of Feb beginning of March 2011, will be in Chiang Mai for first five days meeting up with family, but then want to head to a coastal resort for the next nine days to do a few days fun diving, and plenty of chilling out.
Trouble is I've never been to Thailand and there seem to be so many beautiful areas I am having real difficulty choosing where to go.:confused:

I will be travelling with my other half, we are both thirty some-things on a budget, He has OW I have AOW, but will be needing a refresher dive; as we are mere holiday divers, and haven't been away since Feb 2010, so looking, really, for gentle beginner/ novice dives, possibly a little snorkelling too. day trips from a resort, rather than live-aboard.

Not too fussed on busy, party hard night life, prefer a few chilled out beers in a bar. Not too bothered about shopping (rather spend the money on diving, plus I'm told there's plenty of that in Chiang Mai).
We both usually dive Red sea and stick with the same dive centre we love, So we're really excited to dive somewhere new, but also a little unsure having never really dived elsewhere!
Any help or advice really appreciated.
Many thanks :D
Abbe

oooh also wondered if nitrox is used much in Thailand?

Hi Abbe! Welcome to ScubaBoard and to the Thailand forum.

Let's begin with your last question, regarding Nitrox. Yes, Nitrox is used quite widely in Thailand. From Phuket, a customer-service-oriented dive centre can get it for you and have it ready for your dives, even if the daytrip boat you are booked on doesn't offer it. I'm not sure if the same is true elsewhere, though. It's possible that some shops offer Nitrox and others don't on some of the islands.

For the time of year you are traveling, the best diving in Thailand is found on the western side of the country, at sites in the Andaman Sea. You have lots of options for daytrip diving.

For example you could base yourself at Khao Lak and do speedboat daytrip diving. This would give you access to some of our most beautiful dive sites from a town that is very laid-back and quiet. The downside is that the boat rides are rather long considering that speedboat rides aren't always the most comfortable, and they are also the most expensive daytrips, on average.

You could also base yourself on Phuket island, which is large enough that you can easily escape the few shopping/nightlife/touristy towns and stay at a quieter part of the island. We do daytrips to several different destinations south and east of the island at the Racha Islands, the Phi Phi marine park islands, and at some islands and submerged pinnacles between Phi Phi and Phuket.

For a place that's quite a lot less developed, you could consider Koh Lanta, accessible from Krabi. There is some excellent easy diving in the Koh Haa group from Lanta.

Thanks so much for your quick replies, have been looking at Krabi and Phuket, glad I'm on the right track :) Phi Phi looks a little out of my budget unfortunately, hadn't looked at Ko Lanta, will have to have a look, for some reason I read somewhere Khao Lak was more suitable for more advanced divers? So I hadn't gone any further.

Thanks for the Nitrox info, don't really mind, just wondered.

Trying to check out some deals at the mo, whether it's going to be cheaper to book a multi centre package, or just book the Chiang Mai stay, then book the internal flights and beach hotel when I'm in Chiang Mai, as told it can be cheaper to get the flights when I'm there but not sure I want to risk it!

Going to get myself a lonely planet guide or similar, get a bit more general info, always found them good, but on the diving side nothing beats advice from those in the know!

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom