Advice for new diver w/ paralyzed left arm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O.A.D.

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I wear a sling all the time except at home, even when swiming just because it is more comfortable for me and less chance i will hurt myself. I have some feeling in my arm not your normal sensation everywhere on my arm and hand, some place are very sensitive and feel like pins and needles. Movement is very limited like when I try to bend my arm up which I cant get it all the way up is very hard like you are trying to curl a couple hundred pounds or more. I cant move fingers at all or use my hand in any way.

Dive gloves would be almost imposible to get on, does anyone make dive mittens?

Anything else you might think would be useful to me please let me know.

Thanks

I know they make 3-finger mitten-gloves, which may not help you a lot.

Talk to user Mwhities; he doesn't have a left arm and might have some good advice...

In the first issue of Dive Portal, Richie Kohler dives in Maine in February wearing dive mittens. You might be able to find out where he got his by checking out his website. You might also want to try scubatoys.com. I don't know if what you will find out from either site but good luck.

*UPDATE* I asked a buddy of mine and did some searching on my own and found this link: Three Fingered Mitt Glove 6mm The website is based in the UK so prices are in £ but you can change the currency selector on the left hand side of the page to $. That particular link has them listed for $43.45.

Not sure about gloves for ya. I always ask for 50% off since I'll only use one but, it never works. :|

:wink:

Hello my bubble blowing fellow amphibian, I would recommend just diving with what feels natural & comfortable with you, concentrate on further developing your dexterity and reach with your other hand. Since most of your propulsion is obtained from finning concentrate on whats your most effective and comfortable kick, enhance it and go from there. Above all "adapt and overcome", see what works and what does not. Remember that it's not your "Disability" but ones "Ability", YOU can accomplish whatever you set your mind to, you will be surprised. I'm a PADI MSDT with over 20 years of diving/teaching experience, I'm a below elbow amputee and use a prosthesis u/w, it's basically just a part of me.

Jim Gatacre, founder of Handicap Scuba Association has a similar condition, and it hasn’t slowed him down. You could try contacting him at: hsa@hsascuba.com – although he might try to sell you one of his courses :).

Speaking of HSAscuba.com, taking his course might not be a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom