Advice for Online Scuba-Store? Scuba.com, LeisurePro? ... other? sponsors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had nothing but GREAT experiences with Scubatoys. Be sure to mention that you are a member of this forum to get a discount.

Gosh can I put in a plug for ScubaGearPlus? We carry over 140 lines of gear, more than nearly everyone, and build packages that fit your needs, diving goals, and budgets! And as the on-line store for our real "brick and mortar"dive center Indian Valley Scuba, we are an authorized dealer for everything we sell!

Hope to hear from you soon!

Gosh can I put in a plug for ScubaGearPlus? We carry over 140 lines of gear, more than nearly everyone, and build packages that fit your needs, diving goals, and budgets! And as the on-line store for our real "brick and mortar"dive center Indian Valley Scuba, we are an authorized dealer for everything we sell!!

I'll have to give these guys a +1, bought a White's fusion. Service and price were great.

Also 2nd Piranha Mfg and Dive Right In Scuba.

Just a comment re online purchases.Though I have never had any issues with the online retailers, I generally give the local dive center a shot at matching or coming close to the on-line guys. My local local dive shop does great with warranty issues - actually above and beyond in some cases. I like to get my regs serviced locally and prefer to get them locally. I also like having dive center staff to bounce ideas off of and to just chat about scuba. The local dive shop can also be a place to meet folks who share your love of diving, get air fills, and who schedule group trips if you prefer this. They also have cookouts, pumpkin carving contests and scuba season kickoff events at no cost. In fact, they have a number of giveaways at these events. If your local dive shop isn't offering you this kind of experience - find another. If such doesn't exist at all in your area, then make an on-line retailer your local dive shop (note: multiple purchases through the same on-line dealer often translate into additional discounts - the same as with a local dive store).

Last edited:
Just a comment re online purchases.Though I have never had any issues with the online retailers, I generally give the local dive center a shot at matching or coming close to the on-line guys. My local local dive shop does great with warranty issues - actually above and beyond in some cases. I like to get my regs serviced locally and prefer to get them locally. I also like having dive center staff to bounce ideas off of and to just chat about scuba. The local dive shop can also be a place to meet folks who share your love of diving, get air fills, and who schedule group trips if you prefer this. They also have cookouts, pumpkin carving contests and scuba season kickoff events at no cost. In fact, they have a number of giveaways at these events. If your local dive shop isn't offering you this kind of experience - find another. If such doesn't exist at all in your area, then make an on-line retailer your local dive shop (note: multiple purchases through the same on-line dealer often translate into additional discounts - the same as with a local dive store.

Thanks, good comment.

I'm in Indiana. My local dive shop is owned by a rude fellow that I prefer to not meet again. He seems to think he is the only shop in the area, so why bother with courtesy...
I drove 600 miles to take open water and nitrox certification at MBT Divers in Pensacola. The MBT folks are fantastic, and I spent several hundred dollars while soaking up great advice.
It turns out that they were only slightly more expensive than online for the basic gear that I got, and their professional guidence was worth every penny.
I'm just having to gear up for spearfishing in June, and I'm having to watch the playmoney budget a bit now.

Thanks

I usually check Leisurepro first any time I need something, as they are usually the cheapest source, and I find their customer service excellent. I usually price check at least one other source, and there are some bits of kit that they do not stock, so you do need to have options.

Thanks, good comment.

I'm in Indiana. My local dive shop is owned by a rude fellow that I prefer to not meet again. He seems to think he is the only shop in the area, so why bother with courtesy...
I drove 600 miles to take open water and nitrox certification at MBT Divers in Pensacola. The MBT folks are fantastic, and I spent several hundred dollars while soaking up great advice.
It turns out that they were only slightly more expensive than online for the basic gear that I got, and their professional guidence was worth every penny.
I'm just having to gear up for spearfishing in June, and I'm having to watch the playmoney budget a bit now.

Thanks

Glad you found nice folks at Pensacola. Sometimes the local dive shops just don't get it.

Note to Local Dive Shops - sometimes you are your own worst enemy, not the on-line dive retailers.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL DIVE SHOP. Seriously, if you think you can get a better deal online, you might... BUT your local store can set it up for you and help you should you come across any issues. Small shops keep scuba going by certifying divers...is the store that certified you good enough to give you a c-card but not to sell you gear??

At a bare minimum, find a price you like on an item you like and give a small store the opportunity to get your business....if they can't then so be it, but they deserve the shot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom