Advice for shooting in RAW then white balance in post.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here I am in Maui and I've done some diving and refined my technique, shooting in RAW, no strobe, editing WB after the fact using Picasa. The pictures that I took during the first few dives were quite blurry. I was shooting at ISO 80 to eliminate any noise, but the shutter speeds the camera was setting were long (1/20, 1/30) and unless I held absolutely still, I got very blurry photos. Most were too blurry to bother editing, but I did get a couple of good ones.

Spotted%

Pair%

SInce I had no way to set shutter speed on my camera, I used CDHK to lock my shutter speed. I was worried about going tooo fast on the exposure time, so I went with 1/150 and got better results, but some photos were still blurry.

Turtle%

Twins%20-%

I didn't want to shorten the exposure time too much and get really dark photos. However, everything turned out fine and therefore I'm going to go with faster shutter speeds on my next dives to decrease blurryness. I'm going snorkeling today and diving on saturday, I'll shoot ISO 80, shutter speed @ 1/200 and see how that goes.

Thanks for all of your help to this point.

Although on my last dive my white card cracked and I lost it so now I'm looking for a freebie white card I can use! Anyone have ideas there?

Cut up a 2L white ice cream carton and punch a hole in that.?

FWIW when I used to use my Motormarine II it was recommended to always open the camera back(in this case read housing back) with the back down, so no water got into the camera.

Re fogging, I have small sachets of silica gel, one of which fits inside the housing with the camera to prevent this.

I have played a little with CHDK and after reading this will try more.

Thank you for your contribution to CHDK.

I had RAW by default on my old A5, but Canon saw fit not to activate it with the A720IS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom