Question Advice for Single Diver traveling to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why a dive buddy? You will most likely dive in a group with the divemaster leading the group anyways.

If you can't find one, I'd be very happy to go with you if you pay my way. I am a cheap date, I don't drink alcohol and I don't go out, just diving, eating and sleeping for me :)

I’ve done two trips solo. Would get on the boat and play follow the leader. My first trip I stuck with my insta-buddy the whole week and find people to do extra shore dives was not hard at all. My second trip I dropped any pretense of having a buddy and stayed near the DMs and did my own thing. On shore I just hung around with others in the group.

Booking as a solo on group trip has worked great both times for me.

I have travelled to Coz dozens of times over the years, usually solo, as my husband is a non-diver. I usually stay at Casa Mex. In addition to the morning 2-tanker, I often schedule an afternoon dive/night dive, if energy permits. Some dive ops offer a "twilight package" of dives. Casa Mexicana is centrally located, I enjoy walking to local restaurants. I also enjoy chatting with other divers on the boat--occasionally I receive invitations to join them for dinner. I would encourage you to get to know your fellow divers, as well as people at your hotel.

You might consider scheduling a day of cenote diving on the mainland, though that makes for a long day. Take time to see the sculptures along the Melgar. And venture back into the "hood" to visit the local market.

Don't be afraid to "go local". On my last visit this past November, the zipper on my mesh bag broke. I made inquiries as to how to get this fixed locally. That was a fun experience locating a tiny shop, leaving my bag for servicing and picking it up after 6 p.m. Years ago I "lost" my metal pointer upon entering the water for a dive. Locals directed me to a shop where fishing gear/metal was fashioned/serviced. The store owner was able to make 2 new pointers, complete with a small hole for a lanyard, out of a length of stainless steel metal. Funny thing, 6 months after this trip, I returned to Coz and my divemaster had my "lost" pointer set aside for me--he had found it on a subsequent dive. (Thank you Mariano).

I have travelled to Coz dozens of times over the years, usually solo, as my husband is a non-diver. I usually stay at Casa Mex. In addition to the morning 2-tanker, I often schedule an afternoon dive/night dive, if energy permits. Some dive ops offer a "twilight package" of dives. Casa Mexicana is centrally located, I enjoy walking to local restaurants. I also enjoy chatting with other divers on the boat--occasionally I receive invitations to join them for dinner. I would encourage you to get to know your fellow divers, as well as people at your hotel.

You might consider scheduling a day of cenote diving on the mainland, though that makes for a long day. Take time to see the sculptures along the Melgar. And venture back into the "hood" to visit the local market.

Don't be afraid to "go local". On my last visit this past November, the zipper on my mesh bag broke. I made inquiries as to how to get this fixed locally. That was a fun experience locating a tiny shop, leaving my bag for servicing and picking it up after 6 p.m. Years ago I "lost" my metal pointer upon entering the water for a dive. Locals directed me to a shop where fishing gear/metal was fashioned/serviced. The store owner was able to make 2 new pointers, complete with a small hole for a lanyard, out of a length of stainless steel metal. Funny thing, 6 months after this trip, I returned to Coz and my divemaster had my "lost" pointer set aside for me--he had found it on a subsequent dive. (Thank you Mariano).
@brownie Since you’ve done the Coz solo trip numerous times do you have any recommendations of lodging and dive ops that you think are more solo traveler compatible and those that aren’t?

@brownie Since you’ve done the Coz solo trip numerous times do you have any recommendations of lodging and dive ops that you think are more solo traveler compatible and those that aren’t?
Good morning @Doctor Rig. I don't think my lodging and dive op choices are particularly "solo traveller compatible". I choose them because I love the logistics: hotel + dive shop + pier, are all within a 30-second travel triangle of each other. I stay at Casa Mex and dive with Aqua Safari. I have dove with AS for many years; I have much respect and fondness for their skippers and their dive staff. Their admin staff are very accommodating and helpful as well.

Casa Mexicana is located "in town", hence, restaurants are close at hand, within comfortable walking distance. Or, I might take a convenient taxi for a more-distant restaurant (say, La Perlita). There are other dive ops very close to this hotel: Tres Pelicanos and Aldora Divers are just around the corner--and they offer smaller, faster boats.

Over the years, I have had solo dive trips to various far-flung destinations: PNG, Indonesia, Philippines, South Africa, Galapagos, Oman, New Zealand, Egypt, Maldives, Costa Rica......and more. I think solo travel requires a mind-set and personality wherein an individual is comfortable and confident in being alone, but friendly and open to meeting and interacting with others. And you have to be resourceful: when challenges arise, face them head-on, think through solutions and don't be afraid to ask for help.

Blue Angel is great-but not close to town. Nice and quiet, good dive op. But, if you want more of the town flavor I would suggest stay in town. Eat local, dive with Scuba Diving Cozumel | Top Rated Cozumel Dive Shop - Tres Pelicanos

3Ps shuttle you to the marina and home making for shorter boat rides. 3Ps is a class act with small boats and very experienced crews. Also, one can make lodging arrangement through them.

^^^This is what I would do, actually just did with a buddy. Super easy:
  • Stay at Casa Mexicana, which includes breakfast in the morning,
  • then walk 1.5 blocks to the Tres Pelicanos (3P) dive shop to catch a ride to the marina.
  • Small, fast boats with small groups - hang near the DM or get an insta-buddy.
  • Then ride back to the shop with 3P and walk a block or 2 to lunch (sometimes with the other 3P divers).
  • Walk back to the hotel, or around town, etc.
  • Repeat as desired for afternoon, twilight or night dives.
  • And plenty of good restaurants to walk to for dinner and drinks later on -- I always feel comfortable walking in Cozumel at night, but would try to avoid going to an ATM at night alone (good advice most places).
I like staying in town to dive, as everything is a short walk so I don't have to bother with taxis or rental cars unless I want to. And I do enjoy walking around the town when not diving.

3P and Casa Mexicana can do package deals. 3P can also do deals with Suites Colonial, Hotel Barracuda, and Suites Bahia (which has been closed during Covid). Or you could book your own super discount hotel (Hotel Mary Carmen, for instance) and have just a little longer walk.

There are also other dive ops that pick up at the pier in town -- Aldora, Salty Endeavors, Aqua Safari, to name a few.

I am a solo diver as well. My wife had to stop diving a few years back due to an inner ear issue so now when I travel it’s usually solo. I was planning to go to Coz in late May, stay at Casa Mex and dive with Tres Pelicanos. Let me know if you have any interest, I don’t do a shared room as I snore a bit loud. I’ve been diving for 30 years…MSD/Nitrox.

I've done 9 or 10 solo trips to Cozumel and have never had a problem. There are plenty of opinions on dive shops (and I haven't been to Coz in years so my experience is dated) but you'll find lots of information. Get a cheap rental car, stay wherever you like, and find a shop that lines up with your experience level. It'll be easy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom