Advice, I thought scubadiving was for me :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're right, Dan (and believe me I had to go deep to say that)

I didn't read everything in detail. If the student is having severe mask clearing issues and does not trust the gear (water getting in on every breath) then there is one of two things happening

- either the instructor is a boob (not seeing what is happening and/or responding inappropriately)
or
- the student is having a problem trusting the gear

There is a 3rd possibility, which is that the student is having an honest psychological issue but in my experience, it's unlikely that this is the case.

R..

Hi all, (long time unregistered reader, first time poster!)

I'm no expert, as I have only recently finished my qualifications to dive, but I did find that during the course, there was a noticeable difference between those who were comfortable/familiar with the water, and those who were not as familiar. (We even had some non-swimmers try and do the course!)

Personally, I've been afraid of the water/deep water since I was young, but have been regularly visiting the pool for a number of years before taking the course, and I found that it did help.
Having said that, my dive buddy, who used to swim as a kid, but has not swam in years before the course, took to diving like it was nothing.

Practicing and being more comfortable around water (although I will acknowledge that sea water with its taste, temp, and extra buoyancy) is the way to go! Keep it up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom