Advice: Narrowed Down Locations for Divemaster Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Statick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get qualified as a PADI Divemaster this December/January and I think I have narrowed down my options. I'd love some input on these dive operations and these dive locations in general.

The options, in no specific order, are:
1) Utila Dive Centre, obviously on Utila
2) Alton's Dive Centre, on Utila
3) Underwater Vision, also on Utila
4) Divemaster Internships, on Cozumel
5) Dive Down Below, in Kota Kinabalu (Malaysia)
6) Scuba Junkie Komodo, in Labuan Bajo (Indonesia)

If there's another operation you would recommend, please do let me know.

I know its best to take your DM training where one intends to work, but I'm not entirely sure I'll start working too soon. Depending on how some other things go here on land, I'd be more likely to start working a little later once successfully getting certified as an Open Water Instructor.

Thanks for any input!

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get qualified as a PADI Divemaster this December/January and I think I have narrowed down my options. I'd love some input on these dive operations and these dive locations in general.

The options, in no specific order, are:
1) Utila Dive Centre, obviously on Utila
2) Alton's Dive Centre, on Utila
3) Underwater Vision, also on Utila
4) Divemaster Internships, on Cozumel
5) Dive Down Below, in Kota Kinabalu (Malaysia)
6) Scuba Junkie Komodo, in Labuan Bajo (Indonesia)

If there's another operation you would recommend, please do let me know.

I know its best to take your DM training where one intends to work, but I'm not entirely sure I'll start working too soon. Depending on how some other things go here on land, I'd be more likely to start working a little later once successfully getting certified as an Open Water Instructor.

Thanks for any input!
If serious about getting instr rating in future and want to work locally best to start pro training where you may actually get to use rating. Can be very difficult to get a gig locally if others did their DM course with a LDS , they get first shot at using their rating. Same for instructor. Look at it this way, if you owned a successful LDS who would you give classes to? Pro's that know your operation and came up the ranks or someone off the street you never saw before? Very slim to no chance getting classes, Unless you can bring something very special to the
LDS why should they take a chance on you?

If serious about getting instr rating in future and want to work locally best to start pro training where you may actually get to use rating. Can be very difficult to get a gig locally if others did their DM course with a LDS , they get first shot at using their rating. Same for instructor. Look at it this way, if you owned a successful LDS who would you give classes to? Pro's that know your operation and came up the ranks or someone off the street you never saw before? Very slim to no chance getting classes, Unless you can bring something very special to the
LDS why should they take a chance on you?

I totally hear you on this. I actually spoke with my OW instructor and a few other instructors (I've moved to a different city since taking courses with them); they also said this would be better if I wanted to work locally at one of the shops, but also that a jaunt in a tropical location could be fun and would do well enough as I'm not entirely sure how and when I want to start working as a DM/Instructor.

In any event, thanks very much for the input. Of the four locations mentioned, which is your favourite for diving and why?

HiI did my divemaster course with Divemaster Interships on Cozumel and then also continued with my Instructor course at Cozumel. Mike Sobel that runs both the Divemaster Internships and GoPro Cozumel is an excellent Platinum Course Director. If you become an instructor he can offer you "on the job training as an instructor" for you to actually gain experience and get to certify your own students.Highly recommended.

From your list, I would favour Scuba Junkie. I have dived with their operation before - not in Komodo, tho', in Sipadan. They're a good, busy shop (lots of experience guiding and assisting for DMTs) and you would get an excellent DM programme there. Of the locations listed, Komodo would also offer the best diving, and some challenging currents to teach you about the importance of control...

Back
Top Bottom