Advice needed for first time traveller with family

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I missed the 17 day part in your post so some of those prices seem reasonable.

A 4dr. dive truck, a/c but likely a manual transmission would be $1000 for that length ot time. Try AB Car Rental - they'll pick you up at the airport, teke you to their office then shiuttle you back to the airport when you return it. It's cheaper if your CC insurance covers the CDW but not all do there. You want that as there's some theft at more remote dive sites if left unattended. Lave the windoows down, doors unlocked and nothing of value inside.

Most dive vehicles on Bonaire are 4-dr manual transmission small trucks. SUV's are available for more. Factor in gas prices also - it's really expensive there.

You might consider renting a property with a shared pool - there's 2-3 condo complexes around Hamlet that share the same one.

The cheapest way to do the diving is probably not at a resort and not bundled but a la carte with someone like Dive Friends - add on boat dives to Klein Bonaire a couple of mornings.

One thing I didn't see in your pricing is food - even in the markets it's expensive as it's all imported.

Some of the Sand Dollar properties rent privately on vrbo.com also - might be a better deal than thru their website?

There's also a few other options in the Belnem area - a couple are across the street from the water and the "house reef" may be a couple blocks in either direction.

There's also at least two others that are waterfront with pools - if I recall the names I'll post them here.

You'd need to go with Dive Friends for tanks though as they don't have on-site shops.

Based on your original points - the Caribbean Club is not a good option for your group. I have stayed there and would stay there again - BUT it does not meet your specific needs.

I suggest either Buddy Dive or Den Laman. The youngster could snorkel right out front of the resort.

Hi all,

thanks a lot for your answers! Yes, I was quite surprised by the high prices, but this seems to be the case when travelling with 4 people. We are not looking for something too basic in order to save money (its our vacation:)). The offers we got are all-in packages and even when requiring directly with the Resorts (accommodation/dive/truck) I always get ridiculously high prices and to not see much of a discount for packages.

Pool, great house reef and easy access to the house reef are a must, beach not a must. We will cook ourselves, so restaurants in walking distance are not required.

I will enquire with Hamlet oasis and Sand dollar.

Den Leman sounds great - but without a pool that is no option for us at all since we are travelling with a non-diving child.

Cheers
Silvie
Hi @Lasenza Silvie,

Best of luck in arranging your trip. I would imagine both Sand Dollar and Hamlet Oasis would work for you. We stayed at Sand Dollar in 2004, 5, and 8, before switching to Den Laman. I hear many of the condos have been upgraded since then, as has internet access, etc. I don't know Hamlet Oasis very well, have only visited. I believe @Trailboss123 knows it well and could probably help with questions. My impression is that the pool and pool area are nicer at Hamlet. Both have very good house reefs, Bari Reef at Sand Dollar, Cliff at Hamlet. See my description of the Bari Reef site in my earlier post, #3. Both sites use Dive Friends Bonaire as scuba operator, they are very good.

If you will be doing any boat dives, Sand Dollar would be a bit more convenient and quick, The Dive Friends boats leave from the Sand Dollar pier. From Hamlet, you would need to get to Sand Dollar for the trips. Sand Dollar has a very small sandy beach area and a roped off swimming area.

Great vacation and diving, Craig

I did some calculations for you and here is what it is going to look like for 17 days of stay, rental truck and diving, if you do it yourself. I am assuming a stay in the 2nd half of April. April 15 begins the low season for most Bonaire accommodations- Accommodations will go up a bit if your stay is the first 2 weeks of April or if it overlaps. Diving and Truck rental are not impacted by the dates of your stay.

This stay would be for a 2 bedroom at Hamlet Oasis (kids under 13 don't pay the $6.50 a day room tax), diving through the on site dive op (Dive Friends Bonaire), Truck rental with Avis (pickup on site at the airport). Note that I based all of this off of the published weekly rates and converted out for 17 days. Except for the vehicle, which is what Avis quoted for 17 days.

2 bedroom villa for 17 days @ Hamlet Oasis- $3,096.43
Room Tax for 17 nights - 221.00
Avis Rental truck for 17 days w/ CDW insurance - $1,305.36
Unlimited shore diving for 3 people for 2 weeks @ Dive Friends Total - $1,180.29 (includes 10% discount for staying at Hamlet Oasis)
GRAND TOTAL: $5,803.07

Hamlet Oasis is nice, but not luxurious. Their online photo gallery is a fair representation.
It has the pool you are looking for, is at a great location with a great house reef and has the convenience of an on site dive operator that has an additional 7 locations on the island for convenient access to more tanks, as needed.

I took some time to search VRBO and I didn't see anything better that meets all of the criteria listed.

It's cheaper if your CC insurance covers the CDW but not all do there.

Avis Rental truck for 17 days w/ CDW insurance - $1,305.36

The issue of CDW insurance is important. Even when people think their CC covers it, if they pay with that CC, on further inquiry, you might find your card has exclusions such as pickup trucks. This topic comes up on Scuba Board fairly often. One guy didn't get it, got in a wreck with a local, then posted on Scuba Board about his ongoing experience - including that the cop who showed up to take the report did a fist bump with the other guy.

Showing up to collect your 'paid for in the package' pickup truck and being asked about >$20/day CDW coverage can be a nasty surprise for the budget conscious. How much is it running these days?

Richard.

The issue of CDW insurance is important. Even when people think their CC covers it, if they pay with that CC, on further inquiry, you might find your card has exclusions such as pickup trucks. This topic comes up on Scuba Board fairly often. One guy didn't get it, got in a wreck with a local, then posted on Scuba Board about his ongoing experience - including that the cop who showed up to take the report did a fist bump with the other guy.

Showing up to collect your 'paid for in the package' pickup truck and being asked about >$20/day CDW coverage can be a nasty surprise for the budget conscious. How much is it running these days?

Richard.
$15 a day for the pickup truck in Bonaire with Avis.

OP is in Zurich. Who knows what rates pop up based on her GeoIP.

@Trailboss123 Hamlet Oasis shows "free wifi at the reception", do you know if that's correct? I.e. no coverage in the rooms?

I keep going back to this based on the OP's criteria but Hamlet Oasis is not waterfront right - set back across the street from those white villas?

I guess it depends on your defininition of waterfront...

AB Car Rental should be cheaper than Avis assuming no CDW surprise. But not as convenient since they arn't at the airport.

AB Car Rental should be cheaper than Avis assuming no CDW surprise. But not as convenient since they arn't at the airport.

They'll pick you up on arrival and drive you to the airport on departure. As I recall insurance was one of the reasons we picked AB over others the last time: our visa won't cover anything that isn't "basic transportation family car".

Back
Top Bottom