Advice needed! Instructor travel bare essentials

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sekib2003

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I am a PADI instructor and I'm traveling to Fiji to work (current locaton:Spain). What is the bare minimum I need to take. I know what I am "supposed" to have. But in reality dive centers have many things. I have a 23kg limit on the flight plus I really would prefer to travel as light as possible. (Hardcore minimalist).
I have;
X1 scubapro T-one BCD (want to upgrade to scubapro litehawk)
X1 subacqua emergency inflatable signaling device, reel and clip.
X1 3 mil shortie,
X1 pair of cressi Rondine Palau fins.
X1 complete cressi DIN reg (smallest I could find).
X1 cressi compass.
X1 underwater rattle.
X2 masks.
X1 1 snorkel.
X1 surface whistle.
X1 cressi net dive bag.
X1 Mares puch dive computer.
X1 spare mask strap.
X1 EFR white pocket
X1 oronasal resuscitation mask (in box).
X1 subacqua dive knife
Full set of plastic PADI cue cards.

Which item do you think is should jettison?
I have already discarded a 5mm full wet suit and boots. Plus scanned and destroyed all paper didactic materials.
This will be my first time diving in both the tropics and a remote place.

I am mainly focusing my thoughts on the accessories like cue cards, extra mask, reel/signal etc.

Your thoughts?

Repack your 5mm.

Ask your employer.:D

Repack your 5mm.

Ask your employer.:D

No employer yet. Actually it's a little more complicated than I explained. I was just trying to keep things simple. First I'm going to New Zealand for a while but I see that things are limited there and kinda expensive. So I'd prefer not to have to sell here here in Spain only to have to RE-buy over there. Plus it may not nesecarily be Fiji, just that that is the most likely from my research. When I went to work in Croatia 2 years ago my employer told me over the phone to bring EVERYTHING which turned out to be a crock-a-**** as there were clear tons of spare everything available which the other staff were making free use of and so I subsquently joined in . But as that was my only experience of this kinda thing I got no reference for what is "normal".

I'd think you'll be wanting the 5mm for NZ too.

I won't be diving in New Zealand. Just working.

Regarding Fiji,..5mm suit..?. In Fiji?. Seriously? If so, then I need to be aiming even further north!

Ditch the rattle. Those things should be banned. Divers shouldn't have to deal with noise pollution.

I'd personally prefer a 5 mil when diving multiple dives a day for several days in any but the warmest conditions. When I worked in the Caribbean I got cold in a full 3mm diving 4 times a day, and there the temps were usually around 28. From a quick google search it looks like Fiji gets as cold as 25 degrees, for that temperature I'd probably want a 5 mil + extra inner layer / hood or the like.

It's very individual how well people stay warm, but what I tend to see is that instructors and Divemasters working in the tropics use a 5 mm since having to dive again when being cold kinda sucks.

Is it common for someone with only 50-99 dives to be an instructor?

Can you not just check a 2nd bag on the flight and bring all you need?

Is it common for someone with only 50-99 dives to be an instructor?

Can you not just check a 2nd bag on the flight and bring all you need?

Well you need 100 logged dives just to attend an IE so no, with that dive count (if the OP has updated the count to be accurate) one could not be an instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom