Advice on attaching various equipment to BP/wing setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karlovsky120

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Okay, so I finally got most of my equipment, I just need to set it all up so I don't look like a christmas tree underwater. I have an Apeks WTX-D30 set, a flashlight, a knife and a spool with a DSMB.

Here's the wing:
photo_6_2024-02-03_13-21-56.jpg

This is the rest of the equipment:
photo_5_2024-02-03_13-21-56.jpg

(ignore the lose ends on the flashlight, I'm still trying out knots, they will be cut short)

Other than that, I also want to secure both the pressure gauge and the octo so they don't dangle either:
photo_1_2024-02-03_13-21-56.jpg

So, to start with the flashlight. This is what I have so far:
photo_7_2024-02-03_13-21-56.jpg

Tie a bolt snap to the flashlight (here directly, I'm not sure if there's any point in leaving a length of line between the flashlight loop and the boltsnap d-ring). The knot I used is the one described in this video:

The attachment point on the light is a bit small and narrow, not like the one in the video. I'm not sure if there is a better knot to attach to it:
photo_2024-02-03_13-46-32.jpg

I attached the boltsnap to one of the shoulder strap D-ring (here on the right one), securing the flashlight to the shoulder strap using the provided ring (usually made out of bike tires, but Apeks has been kind enough to provide a nice elastic ones on each shoulder strap and the crotch strap). I'm not sure whether to put it on the left or right shoulder strap.

Since I've run into image per post limit, I'll continue in the next post:

The knife is a bit of a doozey:
photo_4_2024-02-03_13-21-56.jpg

First of all, the knife is secured to the sheath using velcro strap. If the knife is not fully inserted when you close the strap, or if you don't press hard on the very top, above the knife handle, knife can easily slide out of the strap. I also assume that velcro will weaken with time, so I don't want to trust velcro to secure the knife. The other problem with the sheath is that it has a loop perpendicular to the strap, designed to have the waist band slide through it. Given that I don't have a way to secure the knife in the strap, I don't want to wear it on my waist band.

What I did above is feed the velcro strap through that loop so it's out of the way. I've then slid the strap through the elastic ring on the shoulder strap. The knife is now held a lot firmer in the sheath, but the sheath does slide quite easily up and down the shoulder strap. I would like to attach a boltsnap to the knife using the same line as for the flashlight. Do you have any ideas on what knot to use here?

This will prevent me from losing the knife, but there is still a small chance that the knife could unsheath itself since the sheath can slide downwards. Additionally, I could add another tri-glider to this shoulderstrap, to limit how low the sheath can go, eliminating that chance altogether. This will, however, make the knife a bit harder to sheath, and I'm not sure if it will affect the comfort of the shoulder strap, I'm guessing it won't. Does anyone have a bette idea? I'm also not sure whether to put it on the left or right shoulder strap.

Note that the inflator hose passes right next to the left shoulder D-ring, if it makes any difference.

The spool and the DSMB are simple:
photo_2_2024-02-03_13-21-56.jpg

Spool is attached to the D-ring on the side of the waistband (left or right?). Is it dangling too much there? I'm not sure if I can shorten more, except if I attach the boltsnap directly to the spool, through one of the holes. If my plan with the pressure gauge is okay, this will probably be attached on the right side.

photo_3_2024-02-03_13-21-56.jpg

DSMB would be attached to the rear D-ring of the crotch strap. I've seen that this is a very common way to attach it. I've seen it attached to the side of the backplate as well, but since I already have the boltsnap on it that I can't remove, I figured I'd do it this way.

Finally, the last two items are the pressure gauge and the octo. I figured I could attach the boltsnap to the pressue gauge and then attach it to the left D-ring of the waist band. Does that make sense? Any advice on securing the boltsnap to the thin hose?

I'm not sure what to do with the octo. I would just thread it through one of the shoulder D-rings, but if the flashlight and knife are attached to one of each, I can't really do that. Any ideas on how to secure the octo?

All in all, does any of this make any sense? Would you make any changes? Which ones?

Thank you!

The knife is a bit of a doozey:
View attachment 824884

First of all, the knife is secured to the sheath using velcro strap. If the knife is not fully inserted when you close the strap, or if you don't press hard on the very top, above the knife handle, knife can easily slide out of the strap. I also assume that velcro will weaken with time, so I don't want to trust velcro to secure the knife. The other problem with the sheath is that it has a loop perpendicular to the strap, designed to have the waist band slide through it. Given that I don't have a way to secure the knife in the strap, I don't want to wear it on my waist band.

What I did above is feed the velcro strap through that loop so it's out of the way. I've then slid the strap through the elastic ring on the shoulder strap. The knife is now held a lot firmer in the sheath, but the sheath does slide quite easily up and down the shoulder strap. I would like to attach a boltsnap to the knife using the same line as for the flashlight. Do you have any ideas on what knot to use here?

This will prevent me from losing the knife, but there is still a small chance that the knife could unsheath itself since the sheath can slide downwards. Additionally, I could add another tri-glider to this shoulderstrap, to limit how low the sheath can go, eliminating that chance altogether. This will, however, make the knife a bit harder to sheath, and I'm not sure if it will affect the comfort of the shoulder strap, I'm guessing it won't. Does anyone have a bette idea? I'm also not sure whether to put it on the left or right shoulder strap.

Note that the inflator hose passes right next to the left shoulder D-ring, if it makes any difference.

The spool and the DSMB are simple:
View attachment 824885
Spool is attached to the D-ring on the side of the waistband (left or right?). Is it dangling too much there? I'm not sure if I can shorten more, except if I attach the boltsnap directly to the spool, through one of the holes. If my plan with the pressure gauge is okay, this will probably be attached on the right side.

View attachment 824886
DSMB would be attached to the rear D-ring of the crotch strap. I've seen that this is a very common way to attach it. I've seen it attached to the side of the backplate as well, but since I already have the boltsnap on it that I can't remove, I figured I'd do it this way.

Finally, the last two items are the pressure gauge and the octo. I figured I could attach the boltsnap to the pressue gauge and then attach it to the left D-ring of the waist band. Does that make sense? Any advice on securing the boltsnap to the thin hose?

I'm not sure what to do with the octo. I would just thread it through one of the shoulder D-rings, but if the flashlight and knife are attached to one of each, I can't really do that. Any ideas on how to secure the octo?

All in all, does any of this make any sense? Would you make any changes? Which ones?

Thank you!
another video which shows boltsnap connection, particularly to the hose at the latter half of the video. Great resource if you go through other videos by him.

Knife to left waistband (you’ll need to unthread the waist buckle).

Triglides that are between the backplate and the waist d rings would likely be better on the back side of the plate and you may wish for them to be serrated triglides depending on the webbing used.

Most people eventually remove or never have had the right side waist d ring. Should you switch to a long hose primary donate setup, items on a right side waist d ring inhibit donation.

Spool could be either pre tied to the DSMB on you butt or in a thigh pocket or on your rear crotch d ring.

I speculate given the length of the shoulder straps that your waist d rings need to move towards the plate 1-2” but would require seeing the harness on you. Most people start with shoulder straps too tight and crotch strap too loose. Your rear crotch d ring is at least six inches too low. If you play with it, you can use the crotch strap retaining triglide for your rear d ring, but it does make it slower to adjust quickly.

If you continue with the alternate donate (octo), the right side waist d ring may continue to make sense. I would larks foot hitch one of these: Trident Silicone Snorkel Keeper | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL through either that right side d ring or the right shoulder d ring. The free end goes around the mouthpiece of your donatable second stage.

I always put a couple d-rings as far back on the waist belt as possible (up against the plate) for things like my smb or sealife micro. They are still easy to reach and don't dangle past my belly. I use the hip d-rings to clip off my spg. Also to hook my thumbs in like John Wayne.

You can use old bicycle tube to secure your light up against your harness so it doesn't flop around.

If you're using a traditional octo setup just double the hose and shove it under your harness. Keeping your safe second on a necklace and under your chin is also an effective method of streamlining.

Play around with it. You'll find what works for you.

I always put my knife on my waist belt, close to the plate. The best thing you can do at this point is put the rig on and practice accessing these items, adjust as necessary.

avoid dogma, these are suggested starting points but ultimately put them where they work best for you. You want things secure and accessible, don’t worry about Christmas trees think useability.

When I'm in a wetsuit (no pockets), my pre-attached DSMB is on my rear/crotch D-ring.

I put my knife on the right waist band. It's primary purpose is to hold my long hose down. Same spot the locals put their drysuit bottle.

I'd redo your reg hoses. Hard to tell from pic. Put the octo on a necklace. Angle the 1st stage reg so that the SPG hose goes nearly straight down to your left waist d ring. Primary reg on the 5th port, if you have one. It's good to have fresh hoses and spares, anyways.

The rest of your setup looks fine.

I put my spool where you do. Hang another double end bolt snap on that same ring. Spare, helper, working boltsnap, call it whatever you want.

I add two bungies to the holes in my backplate on the same side. That's where my rolled up DSMB goes. (I've considered lashing it to the middle float on my camera.)

The loop for my inflator hose is just another bungie loop. Not connected to the d ring. So I can run it up and loose, or down and tight. Whenever I want. Or just pull the inflator up, and it slides up the hose and shoulder strap on its own.

My singles rig has the inflator supply hose rubber banded (MTB tube slice) to the shoulder strap. My doubles rig does not.

The knife should go on the waist strap probably. If the sheath is a little longer than the knife, what I have done is take a red hot hanger and melt a slot in the center, of the end of the sheath where the tip lies. The melted slot can be maybe 3/16" deep.

Then take a light bungi and run a loop through the hole in the knife handle and then down to the bottom of the sheath and then over half the bottom of the sheath, using the melted notch to retain the bungi cord. this puts direct pressure downward on the knife in the sheath and it will not fall out as long as the bungi is secured in the melted notch.

This type of configuration is very common with spearfisherman who may access the knife several times per dive (to stab fish), but doesn't seem to be popular with the "regular" diving crowd - people who often never remove and replace their knives underwater ever.

Back
Top Bottom