Advice on buying a BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stev

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
[h=3]Hey guys I am about to finish my Advance dive. I always rented a back inflated BCD and now decided to buy one. I was interested in buying a new Balance but came across this deal ( Halcyon Eclipse BCD) and wanted to get some opinion on it. He dropped it down to $575 since its missing the crotch strap and says ill need to replace it. I was told it was bought in November 2012 and has been on a few 10 dives ( bought it for his son who stopped diving). I weigh 177 lbs and am 5'9 feet and dive with a 3mm wetsuit (but am considering diving with none since its warm here). I was wondering if its the right size and if its worth the buy? Any advice would be great!

Thank you for your time and answer

Steve[/h]

Hi Steve,

Halcyon makes a good product, but a 40# wing may be a bit too much lift, and the stainless steel plate will likely be too heavy. If it was the 30# and aluminum, it would be much better suited for the diving and location you are in. The price is good, but you can find similar deals if you look.

I sell a complete BP/W for under $400.00 HOG Backplate and Wing Complete Kit

Last edited:
hmm thank you Robert!

I think that that kind of BCDs (The one that uses wings) are more for Tech diving more than recreational diving. My personal opinion is you can buy a new back inflated BCD with the same price in good brand. Check scubatoys.com

BPW is not a Tech rig. Yes most tech divers use one but so do many Rec divers, they work fine for Rec Diving. As for the Halcyon they make very good equipment but there is a very hefty H tax that goes with it. I would guess that you coud pick up a new equivalent rig for less without having to pay the H tax on the used rig.

Thats mainly what I meant. That (s)he can buy a new one also with a good brand. Like Mares, Cressi for example with almost the same price. I am not saying that Halcyon is not good, I don't know whether it is good or bad. I haven't tried it, also I am not judgging. All I am saying, what I would persoanly do if I am i his shoes

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Just to chime in here, I am strictly a Rec diver but chose to get a BP/Wing setup due to a few factors: weight nearer to center of lift, simplicity, reliability, flexibility, ease of maintenance, and travel convenience.

So far so good, really like having metal, bicycle tubing, and sturdy harness material versus plastic which can get broken in far away places. I do not concern myself at all about things breaking with my setup, and I can alter it as I see fit.

Your choice but I wouldn't spend tons right now until you have enough experience to find out what your style of diving is going to be. Get a good reg set first, you can then try different BC setups to see which ones you like.

Hope this helps, good luck.

On a BP/W the webbing costs around $15 to replace and a new crotch strap is about $20 for a 2" wide version much less if you want to make your own. These are not huge expenses. I would wear a wetsuit even if it is a thin one to protect against jelly fish and the like.

I disagree with Robert about the steel plate. When I first started diving I was about the same size as you and still needed 6lbs with no wetsuit in fresh water so I don't think you are going to be grossly overweighted with a steel plate. How much weight to you wear now?

On a BP/W the webbing costs around $15 to replace and a new crotch strap is about $20 for a 2" wide version much less if you want to make your own. These are not huge expenses. I would wear a wetsuit even if it is a thin one to protect against jelly fish and the like.

I disagree with Robert about the steel plate. When I first started diving I was about the same size as you and still needed 6lbs with no wetsuit in fresh water so I don't think you are going to be grossly overweighted with a steel plate. How much weight to you wear now?

12 if i use a 3mm suit and hood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom