Advice on deco reg set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I ended up going with the HOG D2/Classic set. They arrived last night, and took a few breaths, and it seems fine. Overall build quality looks good. It's annoying that HOG won't sell service kits or share manuals with anyone who hasn't taken their course, but it looks from the schematic like the first stage is exactly like the DGX D6, and there are other sources for kits. The Singler manual archive includes a manual for the D1, which looks the same.

I'll take them in the pool next weekend and see how they breathe underwater.

I agree re: interest in DGX XTRA. Are they noticeably better that the D6? I might consider getting a set of those for my next purchase. It's a little concerning that the D6 second stage has been on order for a while now. I hope there aren't supply chain issues.

Off topic question, does the D6 designation have any relation to Deep6? Similar design? Mere coincidence?

I have Deep6 and DGX XTRA. Like them both. It really depends on the platform you want to adopt. However, I prefer Deep6 rubber hoses to those that come stock with DGX regs.

I have Deep6 and DGX XTRA. Like them both. It really depends on the platform you want to adopt. However, I prefer Deep6 rubber hoses to those that come stock with DGX regs.
Not a tech diver (yet), but stumbled in here from "New".. What's the differences in the D6 rubber hoses?

Asking because I have a DGX XTRA set I bought (with 4 dives on it so far) and the long-hose primary seems stiffer than some of my older kit.

The Deep6 hoses are a bit more flexible than standard hoses. I really like the D6 hoses as well.

Well, I ended up going with the HOG D2/Classic set. They arrived last night, and took a few breaths, and it seems fine. Overall build quality looks good. It's annoying that HOG won't sell service kits or share manuals with anyone who hasn't taken their course, but it looks from the schematic like the first stage is exactly like the DGX D6, and there are other sources for kits. The Singler manual archive includes a manual for the D1, which looks the same.

I'll take them in the pool next weekend and see how they breathe underwater.

I agree re: interest in DGX XTRA. Are they noticeably better that the D6? I might consider getting a set of those for my next purchase. It's a little concerning that the D6 second stage has been on order for a while now. I hope there aren't supply chain issues.

Off topic question, does the D6 designation have any relation to Deep6? Similar design? Mere coincidence?
The D2 is not the same as the DGX D6, Different regs and different service kit. Any HOG dealer can sell you D2 service kits. I recommend Piranha for kits now that I am no longer servicing or selling them.
The D2 does not have a turret so the torque spec for the balance chamber is different.
HOG never sold kits directly but also never required dealers to check for proof of having taken the class.
Setting the IP is the same process for all HOG regs (D1, D2 and D3).
As for providing the manual to those who have not taken the class, that was a simple liability issue and I'm sure I'm not the only HOG reg tech instructor or tech that can tell you stories of regs where the user managed to get a copy of the manual without the class and still managed to screw them up.

Buy what matches your backgas regs.
All regs except titanium ones can be o2 cleaned.
There are differences in hose routing between back gas versus stages. I find it more comfortable to have a swivel turret on stage regs but that's rather pointless for back gas.

Re the Xtras:

I happened to visit the store in Florida when they were about to announce the Xtra’s. The short summary is they got frustrated with the slow service from Deep6, and decided to do it on their own. I was at the time using Mk25/G260 regs, and honestly with the exception of an auto closing feature on the DIN added to the Xtra, they seem identical. I own about a half dozen sets now for bailout / deco / stage, and have never had a real issue. The only thing to know is you have to occasionally tighten the end of the DIN adapter as it will work itself lose over time (just shove an Allen wrench in the open end of the reg and tighten it, it’s easy to see if it’s loosened).

Re the Xtras:

I happened to visit the store in Florida when they were about to announce the Xtra’s. The short summary is they got frustrated with the slow service from Deep6, and decided to do it on their own. I was at the time using Mk25/G260 regs, and honestly with the exception of an auto closing feature on the DIN added to the Xtra, they seem identical. I own about a half dozen sets now for bailout / deco / stage, and have never had a real issue. The only thing to know is you have to occasionally tighten the end of the DIN adapter as it will work itself lose over time (just shove an Allen wrench in the open end of the reg and tighten it, it’s easy to see if it’s loosened).
The DIN issue is somewhat annoying. I have had that happen a few times, so DGX XTRA will soon become my second set. I still prefer Mk10/G250 combo to either DGX XTRA or D6. Specifically, G250 exhale WOB rocks.

Not a similar design to our Signature regs, but we did initially OEM the excursion second for them as the model you are referring to.

The short summary is they got frustrated with the slow service from Deep6, and decided to do it on their own.
Not even remotely true, lol.

The Xtra was something they worked on on their own. It is a piston design, we make diaphragm regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom