advice on first and second stage ScubaPro regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b-man

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hey guys,

I am trying to work out which of these is going to be what I need for diving twice a day for 9 months in 0-40meters - warm water only ...

mk2 - r295
mk11 - r295
mk11 - r395
mk11 - c200
mk11 - c300

i've read a million reviews but Im just not putting the pieces together in my brain!!

How much do you notice the balancing in the mk11 over the mk2?
How much do you notice the difference with the new c300 improvements over the r395?

(My local shop recommends the mk11 - r395 combination btw.)

Thanks in advance,

bman

If you MUST stick to this list, I'd say: much & much:
  • Being an unbalanced design, the MK2 has an intermediate pressure that changes quite a bit with the tank pressure. So if you tune your second stage for no free flow at full tank, it'll breath noticeably harder at the end of the dive.
  • I haven't looked into the C300 yet, but according to SP's hype, it's a "barrel poppet" design that promises a smoother air delivery.
So your last option is the best.

Mk2 is entry level especially for deeper dives. I use it for pony bottle. I'd go with the best FS&SS combination in your list.

hey guys,

I am trying to work out which of these is going to be what I need for diving twice a day for 9 months in 0-40meters - warm water only ...

mk2 - r295
mk11 - r295
mk11 - r395
mk11 - c200
mk11 - c300

i've read a million reviews but Im just not putting the pieces together in my brain!!

How much do you notice the balancing in the mk11 over the mk2?
How much do you notice the difference with the new c300 improvements over the r395?

(My local shop recommends the mk11 - r395 combination btw.)

Thanks in advance,

bman

So is this all that your shop stocks, or are you sticking to a certain price point?

Get a G250.

The 1st stage is less important when using a balanced 2nd like the G250.
Personally I like diaphragm regs......I find they need less frequent servicing and adjustment.

.....I'd get an Apeks XTX 20 or MK11 G250

Just spent a bit of time on the SP site in a few of the regions and I think I'd go with what Zung and Burhanmuntasser and HowardE and Fishpie say as opposed to getting the Phillis Diller over the Joan Rivers or a black one with silver or white.

+1 ... While you can!

It's starting to disappear from their US site, and there's a certain risk this disease may spread to the rest of the world.
WTH ???? it's NOT listed on the SP site here ????
(I see that it's still listed in other countries and you can get it in the UK)

I think that the G250 is a best bang for the buck reg you can get from ScubaPro

I just took a look at the regulators on SP's site, I'd go with the mk11 - c300 system. Although the G250 is/was a great regulator, if SP is discounting it, there is no reason to go after an EoL regulator.

I just took a look at the regulators on SP's site, I'd go with the mk11 - c300 system. Although the G250 is/was a great regulator, if SP is discounting it, there is no reason to go after an EoL regulator.
With scuba pro, they have very carefully avoided end of life issues, new design SP parts are readily available for their older regs because they design them that way

And, you can get a large discount on a SP reg if they are discontinuing some part of it .. In 2005 I got my MK18/G250HP on sale for $260 (from an authorized SP Dealer) because they were discontinuing the MK18 and I get it serviced there, and with brand new SP parts
There are many owners of older SP regs that have brand new SP parts in them

Back
Top Bottom