Advice on Fish Stringer, new to spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderWaterFlyerGuy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm new to diving, and I'll be planning to spearfish with brother and friends in a couple of months.

Advice on fish stringer.

Fish in bag?
or
One of several types of stringers?

I've also heard conflicting info on where to keep the stringer with fish on it.
I've heard to tie dead fish on stringer on rope several feet long to reduce shark trouble.
I've also heard to keep the dead fish close to you and simple poke sharks with your speargun if they get close.

Get a ss spear fishing stringer, once you shoot hook it through gill or eye, your choice, clip it closed, pull spear out and go spear another.

HappyDiving

There is no general good advice. It all depends on the shark activity, in certain places and certain times it would be very unwise to use a stringer or any type and other placesit is common practice.

I like the type that has a sharpened rod about 6" long attached to about 18" of ss cable. I also have the one that looks like a giant safety pin, it works well, just not as fast. I always put the fish on the stringer before removing the spear, the fish can get loose and swim away and die without purpose. For most fish I string them through the eye sockets, for the biters (trigger fish, sheephead etc) I string through the gills and out the mouth. I only use the stringer with small reef fish and while on scuba, free diving and large fish, I boat them. Never let a shark bully your fish from you, and I would not poke them with the sharp end of the spear, if it penetrates, you may lose your spear.

Here in my setup. I keep it hooked to a d ring until till I need it. Once I put a fish on it I take it to my dive flag and hook it on. I don't drag my flag around I secure it to the bottom since I mostly dive an inlet. It's too much of a safety concern dragging it around.

66.jpg

Thanks for the information and advice!

Depending on where you will be fishing will determine the best method.
If you share where you will be doing most of your spearfishing, you will get aq more concise answer. Different regions have different methods.

Chris

Thanks sfpgrauwer,
I've been able to do more research since my first posting this.
My upcoming dive spot will be Pensacola Florida, with my Brother who lives there and he has been spearfishing for a while.
I mentioned my research to him, and he's buying the R382 & R383 Fish Stringer and clip featured in the video "The Bare Bones of Spearfishing", because he is impressed with it, and said he was losing alot of time using his current clip. I'll simply use is older clip because I'm a new diver and I'll be more concerned with "breath-in... breath-out" basics.
The Bare Bones of Spearfishing DVD

One Hand SS Stringer 5/16 @ Divers-Supply.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom