Advice on oceanic gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oceanic makes and markets a good line of product.....I don't know of any real bad piece in there lineup. I use a few of their regs and they are great!

Oceanic makes a good product I am using one of thier BCDs. Point of consideration for your purchase. The linked selection doesnt contain a Dive Computer which you will NEED. Additionally two points about the oceanic integrated bcd, the pockets will hold 10 pounds each side only (if your over 180 pounds this may be a problem for you), they are a bit difficult because of the webing on the harness to put in with bcd on. Pay close attention to the inflater on the BCD, IT IS VERY EASY TO INFLATE AS YOU DEFLATE. Hehehe been there done that. Very comfortable in the water though. Also your chosing a wrap around type, not a wing or back inflate. According to most divers I have spoken with and from what I have read, most say back inflate is a preferable bcd.

Good package. My first set of gear was all Oceanic - Oceanic dive gear is known for their reliability, clear user manuals (especially for computers) and their hard to beat price. My dive buddy uses the OceanPro BCD. It's a good warmwater BCD, very comfortable (I'm not sure if it has enough lift in coldwater). The Alpha SP8 is a great piston reg, best of the Alpha series (divernet uses the Alpha reg to gauge the performance of all other expensive regs that cost a lot more in its tests). My dive shop uses the SP8 reg for rental, which goes to show its ruggedness and reliability.
I see you've got everythig except for computer. Since you're purchasing the package, try to bargain with them to sell you an economical but good computer like the Veo 100Nx at a big discount.
Good luck and Dive safely.

Twiddles:
. Additionally two points about the oceanic integrated bcd, the pockets will hold 10 pounds each side only (if your over 180 pounds this may be a problem for you),

20 lbs should be plenty unless you are wearing a full 7mm setup, or a drysuit.

We use near that exact package for our students and rentals. Very versatile beginner set up from my personal perspective. I've had more difficulty finding wetsuits to fit my students than fitting them in the Oceanic gear we use.

All my gear is oceanic, never had a problem.

If you buy this package make sure you read up on their servicing conditions for your BCD and reg's.
Get them serviced every 12 months and you will not pay for parts..

From their web site
Alliance Service Agreement Oceanic Australia and your Authorised Oceanic Dealer hereby extend to you the Alliance Service Agreement which offers free service parts with annual inspection and/or servicing for as long as you own your Oceanic product. This program applies to all Oceanic Regulators, Buoyancy Compensators and Analogue Gauges purchased and serviced through an Authorised Oceanic Dealer. This agreement will be validated by Oceanic Australia provided warranty documentation is completed and submitted to Oceanic within 30 days of purchase. This service requires and allows for the following:

All products must be serviced annually by an authorised Oceanic Service Technician.
Oceanic Australia and your authorised Oceanic Dealer will provide all overhaul service parts at no charge.
All labium fees included in overhaul service are the responsibility of the owner of the product serviced.
To maintain this Alliance Agreement, you must show proof of authorised annual service.
This agreement is null and void if such regular annual service is not performed.
This Alliance Agreement is non-transferable and valid for the life of the original owner only.
Normal wear and tear as determined by age and usage is excluded from the Oceanic Limited Lifetime Warranty.

I've never used 20 lbs of lead in my life, and I'm 185 lbs right now. I was 220 at one point. The weight limits are fine for many, not for all if that's the only place you keep lead.

A computer is not "needed", you should be able to dive fine without one using the tables you learned on. The rub is, many dive ops require computers to dive with them so in a way it's "needed", it's just not needed IMO to dive locally.

One thing it doesn't have and it is needed is a compass. The site insinuates there is a spot to place on later on, get it now.

Specifically, on your choice of gear it would not be my first choice. The reg is using an unbalanced first stage, I don't like those. The BC is fine for what it is, and what can a person say about an SPG and depth gage? I know I could pick nits, but in essence they're fine for what they are.

The only concern is the prices I see. After doing the conversion and then comparing to Scubatoys.com pricing it seems they're fairly high. If this is a LDS you're going to buy it from then that means you have wiggle room for haggling, use that to add on a computer and compass if you do this package. They do have a package one step up that includes a computer, but IMO the prices quoted are high and you have room to bargain.

Good system to start out with. I dive Oceanic equipment and my sister dived Scuba Pro stuff for years.
For her birthday I bought her a complete oceanic system. Her Scuba Pro stuff is still hanging up !

cummings66:
I've never used 20 lbs of lead in my life, and I'm 185 lbs right now. I was 220 at one point. The weight limits are fine for many, not for all if that's the only place you keep lead.

A computer is not "needed", you should be able to dive fine without one using the tables you learned on. The rub is, many dive ops require computers to dive with them so in a way it's "needed", it's just not needed IMO to dive locally.

One thing it doesn't have and it is needed is a compass. The site insinuates there is a spot to place on later on, get it now.

Specifically, on your choice of gear it would not be my first choice. The reg is using an unbalanced first stage, I don't like those. The BC is fine for what it is, and what can a person say about an SPG and depth gage? I know I could pick nits, but in essence they're fine for what they are.

The only concern is the prices I see. After doing the conversion and then comparing to Scubatoys.com pricing it seems they're fairly high. If this is a LDS you're going to buy it from then that means you have wiggle room for haggling, use that to add on a computer and compass if you do this package. They do have a package one step up that includes a computer, but IMO the prices quoted are high and you have room to bargain.

thanks for all the help people :)

Regarding my weight, i only need 18pounds. that was 2 on the belt, 2 on the front bcd pockets and 2 on the back (of a cressi bc). So the oceanic bcd should be fine for weight

Buying from leisurepro or scubatoys etc, haven't i got a problem with warranty? as someone mentioned above, the oceanic gear offered free parts replacement if i service with a registered dealer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom