Advice on strobe (S&S Ys110 or Inon Z240)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vikas.Sandhir

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm new to uw digital photography need some advice and input.

I have a compact digital fuji Fxf40fd along with its housing, i have decided to upgrade the same by adding a AD lensmount kit to the housing so i can attach a wide angle or macro lens, so far so good now starts the delaima about the strobe, eventually I will be upgrading to a digital SLR when budget permits, dose z240 have an edge over ys110 and which of the strobes will assist me better when i upgrade to a SLR and is easy to maintain and operate. They both are quite at par to color temp and coverage.

My local agent says go for the z240 as its more compact and fortunately Inon manufactures arms for Fuji. As to the price its a difference of US $ 100 between both. With my current knowledge both have target and can be fired optically and with a cable, and the only difference I see is auto exposer and Matthias Heinrichs ctrl unfortunately my current camera dose not support either. I will be dependent on the Pre-flash compatibility or optical cable do these strobes have the capability to fire in pre flash and then fire again for the image capture, on paper they both claim they can. Did i get the above right.

Vikas

I just purchased the Z-240 due to the capabilities for now on my oly housing using f/optics and for the future when I upgrade to a SLR/housing. I'll be in bonaire for 2 weeks of practice with this new setup Ill let you know- from what I have seen so far above water - go with your rep and get the Inon, Also with the Inon - the adapters for the AD mount should do the trick - and why worry about flooding a bulkhead when u are just starting out - its an expensive lesson should you not get it right b4 a dive.....

Only you can decide which is right for you. I had two Sea & Sea YS-90DX's that I trade for two Inon Z220's. I ended up trading the Z220's for a two Z240's and am very happy with them. They are a great size for taveling yet pack a good punch.

You can compare them side-by-side here:
Underwater Strobe Comparison Guide - Digital Diver Network

Dave

I have both a Sea&Sea YS110 that I use with a Canon G6 in an Ike housing, and 2 Z240s which go on my Aquatica DSLR rig.

Of the two, I prefer Inon more, primarily b/c of the quick recharge time. They also have pretty much every sort of shooting option you can think of - STTL, auto, manual, etc. and work very well with the Heinrichs TTL board.

The small size does have a slight disadvantage - the strobes are negative in the water, which is a Bad Think with an aluminum housing. I solved that problem by replacing my TLC arms with Stix arms+floats. Works like a charm now.

Vandit

Thanks for reassuring my investment in z240. I have seen a few websites related to uw equipment mentioning "z240 type 2", is it a regional thing or an upgraded version of z240.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom