Advice on Thailand Similan/Richelieu Rock short liveaboards, get very seasick. Ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

urchin79

Registered
Reaction score
I've been looking into this and would really like to goto R Rock but it seems like quite a high risk of rough waters. I will be going early December (I read that April calmer but also very early December much better than late Dec- Feb) as I don't want to have stifing heat for rest of trip!

Any recommendations on good stable boats for both Similans and R Rock. Also if I should stick to Similans. it's a lot of money to pay and maybe get sick.

My other option was Maldives as short visit from Sri Lanka

Thanks
Ali

urchin, was it you who posted a similar question on the LP forum about a catamaran liveaboard? I didn't answer there because you were looking for overnight trips, but there is the possibility of doing a daytrip to RR on a catamaran, if you can afford it. That way you can sleep on land. (Sometimes, for me at least, affordability comes down to balancing comfort and cost....) Let me know if you'd like more info.

urchin, was it you who posted a similar question on the LP forum about a catamaran liveaboard? I didn't answer there because you were looking for overnight trips, but there is the possibility of doing a daytrip to RR on a catamaran, if you can afford it. That way you can sleep on land. (Sometimes, for me at least, affordability comes down to balancing comfort and cost....) Let me know if you'd like more info.

Hiya, yes that was me spamming TT trying to work out what to do!

Yes any information would be good. Cost is a big factor but it's good to know my options. I really know very little about boats as I try to avoid them at all costs. But am I right in thinking catamarans are more stable than your regular day trip diving boats/yachts/speed boats (whatever they are called!)? Anything that can be booked much nearer the time is useful too.

Thankyou

Yes, in general terms, catamarans are less "wobbly" in the water. Most daytrip boats to the Similans and Richelieu are speedboats, and in a speedboat you don't feel the seasickness as much while the boat is underway, but you may feel it much more when the boat is stopped since these are smaller boats and will rock more with the movement of the water. Big boats (like liveaboards) make provoke seasickness while underway and not so much when they are stopped.

As for booking nearer the dates of your stay, it's not generally much of a problem with daytrips, though you need to keep in mind that the boats follow a weekly schedule, so you can't just show up and say you want to go to Richelieu "tomorrow" since that may not be on their schedule at all until a different day of the week. You should plan a couple of weeks in advance so that you know what to expect and can shape the rest of your trip around those daytrips.

Yes, in general terms, catamarans are less "wobbly" in the water. Most daytrip boats to the Similans and Richelieu are speedboats, and in a speedboat you don't feel the seasickness as much while the boat is underway, but you may feel it much more when the boat is stopped since these are smaller boats and will rock more with the movement of the water. Big boats (like liveaboards) make provoke seasickness while underway and not so much when they are stopped.

As for booking nearer the dates of your stay, it's not generally much of a problem with daytrips, though you need to keep in mind that the boats follow a weekly schedule, so you can't just show up and say you want to go to Richelieu "tomorrow" since that may not be on their schedule at all until a different day of the week. You should plan a couple of weeks in advance so that you know what to expect and can shape the rest of your trip around those daytrips.

Thanks, regarding the catamaran, what sort of price would the day trip to RR be?

Thanks, regarding the catamaran, what sort of price would the day trip to RR be?
THB 5900, including two dives, equipment rental and park fees.

THB 5900, including two dives, equipment rental and park fees.

Hiya, thanks, this sounds like might be a good option if everything is included in the price (with some of the liveaboards they look good prices but then find out loads is not included!) Is the equipment included a full set? (I won't be taking anything other than my computer with me). What days would this be possible on? Lastly(!) so is this sailing out on the catamaran or meeting it there via a speedboat and how long does it take to get there?

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom