Advice on Tobago?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Could anyone give me some advice on where to stay in Tobago and what else there is to do here besides scuba. I would prefer an all-inclusive, no it doesn't have to be a "dive" all-inclusive, but any recommendations would be wonderful. I'm trying to schedule a trip for around Christmas time. Thanks a ton!

Nevermind, did a search and found some stuff. Not too much on that island...

We were on Tobago a few years ago. It was a beautiful island and we had a great trip. You are right that there is not much on the island other than natural beauty both above and below the water. Do take the time to explore the forest area there, there are some water falls and many beautiful birds about. Do drive about the island and see all the remote areas, many beaches are just stunningly beautiful especially when viewed from above along the winding road ways. I can't really recommend a place to stay, we had rented privately an apartment for our stay. AI would be a good way to go since there are very little options for shopping for groceries as we know it. I went into the main grocery store and did not even recognize half of what was in there. We dined out every night, there are many great places to dine. There was a great bakery, again, not as we know a bakery here, but we had breakfast most morning there. I would love to return there someday. Take some good books to read and be prepared to have a really great laided back experience and some awesome diving. There is a wonderful fort to explore and I found that lurking about the hospital grounds and peeking in interesting since I work in the medical field. Whatever you do, I would recommend that you stay healthy while there :) . Hope you have a great trip.

We're going next week, and staying at the Grafton Beach Resort, which is all inclusive, and has a dive shop on site. I can let you know how it goes in a few weeks. A good reference site for tobago is www.mytobago.info which has loads of really useful information.

Hope this helps

Peter

KidK9:
Nevermind, did a search and found some stuff. Not too much on that island...

Are you kidding me??? This island is my favorite place to visit especially for top-side stuff. Rent a car and you're in for some great adventures. First, visit the remote beaches where you can spend the intire day and not see another person and snorkel or dive right off the beach on some neat reefs and see everything you'd see on a charter.- ie.King Peters Beach and several others. Hire a guide for 20 bucks and trek some of the greastest rain forest in the Carib. or do it on your own; the trails are well marked; you can't get lost. Visit and/or climb up to the third layer of Argyal Falls. Stop off at some of quaint little villages and go to the local store where there is always a table and chairs, order a Carib (best beer in the Caribbean) and chat with the locals. They are very friendly and not out in any way to drain your pockets. Some of the most beautiful flora, especially during Feb., is found all around this island. The topography is stunning, some of the greatest tropical panaramas I've ever see. If you're into photography or video, you'll regret it if you don't bring plenty of film or tape. You can stay cheap; Jeffery's Guest Houst, a short walk from the airport, or $$- Blue Water Inn, and anything in between. If you're into night life, Scarsbourgh is always hopping. I've dove better places, but on a scale of 1-10 the diving is about a 5 or 6. Don't dive The Washing Machine unless you are very capable and experienced, and in shape. It is just what the name says--a washing machine!! Exoerienced DM's have disappeared there. As you can tell, I take issure with your comment that there is not much on Tobago. What's really nice, is that "tourists" especially Americans have not really discovered the Island and the gov. has very strict development codes. I've been there several times and will go several more times.

Barracuda2

Well I certainly didn't mean to offend ya. My g/f and I would love it there I'm sure, but my family of 5, who is planning the trip, needs alot to do. In fact, they don't dive. After visiting such all inclusives at Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Aruba, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, and Hawaii, I'm sure you can tell they need alot to do, and they need great food to eat. I'm much more easily pleased, however, the family isn't into the hiking and such as I am. Thanks for the info tho.

KidK9:
Well I certainly didn't mean to offend ya.

You didn't offend me at all---I guess my enthusiasm came through a little hard. I didn't know you were taking a whole family with you especially kids. I know what you mean there. I have four grandkids and we do an annual Myrtle Beach, and believe it or not, I don't go diving while there. No, Tobago would not really be for kids unless they're content to hang around a pool or beach all day. Nonetheless, it's a great island!

PS - If you ever plan on coming up to Gilboa Quarry to dive, give me a shout Weekends are crasy there - lots of divers. During the week is great.

Barracuda2

Cool Barracuda that sounds awesome on Gilboa. Even tho people complain about coldness, yada yada yada, I absolutely love it up there. So peaceful....(except during DUI Demo Days!). Yeah, my girlfriend and I dive alot on our weekends off from vet school, but with 2 younger sisters who don't dive and mom and dad who dont dive...Tobago isn't really too much of an option. Soo...I found out today the fam is trying to decide b/w St. Lucia, Turks and Caicos, Curacao, and Costa Rica for the week right after Christmas (which isnt the best time to travel). Ever been to one of those places? Opinions?

Barracuda2:
You didn't offend me at all---I guess my enthusiasm came through a little hard. I didn't know you were taking a whole family with you especially kids. I know what you mean there. I have four grandkids and we do an annual Myrtle Beach, and believe it or not, I don't go diving while there. No, Tobago would not really be for kids unless they're content to hang around a pool or beach all day. Nonetheless, it's a great island!

PS - If you ever plan on coming up to Gilboa Quarry to dive, give me a shout Weekends are crasy there - lots of divers. During the week is great.

Barracuda2

Back
Top Bottom