Advice on trucks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divermike1011

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As some of you know my wife and I are moving to the PNW after a very satisfying tour in the fiftieth state. I really, really want to get a full sized pick-up, and I'll be honest here, mostly because I am sick of driving a compact car and want something I can tow with, put building supplies in, yard mulch, etc. etc. My only prior experience with trucks is my old V4 fwd Ford Ranger, and I'm not really a "car guy." At the moment I am looking at the Toyota Tundra and the Ford F-350. Any thoughts? I won't be making this purchase for a little while, but I'm trying to do the research now.

Michael

Isn't the 350 alot larger than a Tundra?

I am a buy the best available used car kind of person.

Best of luck in your research.

Is the F350 a dualie? That is a lot more truck the the Tundra, towing wise. I do know a guy who has a Tundra and pulls a 24 or 26' (can't remember for sure) boat. He had a Ford F150 before and it wasn't quite enough truck for his liking but the Tundra seems to do the job for him.

Anymore I think they all make a good product but it comes down to which one you really like. If it was me, I would buy something that was rated to tow more than you intend to pull. In the long run it will make you happier, performance wise, and the truck will last longer with less trouble if you don't have to push it to the max of it's design. Of course the budget may call for something else.

Just my opinion.

and that's why I started looking at the F-350. It is a hell of a lot more truck then the Tundra, but I want to grow into it so to speak vice by a smaller one and then wish I had more towing capacity.

And the F-350 comes in both a dulie and single rear wheel configuration.

Michael

From experience I would go with the Ford. I routinely tow a 21 footer with my F 150 with absolutely no problems now for years. It now has close to 200,000 miles... The interior even holds up extremley well after much abuse it still looks great!

Here's my 2 psi - Different horses for different courses. Make a list of things that you REALLY want to do with your truck. Decide if you want to buy new, buy used or lease your truck. You will find that trucks have wildly different specifications for the same size truck. I've seen that the Tundra has a bit more carrying capacity than other '1/2 ton' trucks, but not as much as a '3/4 ton' truck.
I happen to have a Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins turbo-diesel with 4wd, four-door cab, long box and six-speed transmission. It's just right for me, but not for everybody.

About brand preferences - It used to be that every manufacturer had at least one shiny, glistening turd in their line-up. No longer. Find a truck that you like, find a dealer that you like, and find a price that you like. In that order.

DC

if you go with the 350 look into a diesel...more torque and hp and the 350 is not easy on GAS whereas diesel might be a little more expensive up front, you get better gas mileage and you can run the truck forever. 300,000 miles is not anything out of the oridinary for a diesel trk.

I have a few different trucks and had a Toyota salesman show up at a jobsite with the Tundra when they redesigned it. I told him I would give it a shot if it could handle towing my 34' cargo trailer (a workshop on wheels) which I currently tow with my Chevy 1500HD 4x4. I hooked up the trailer to the Tundra, made it down the hill and started back around the block uphill and then nothing, I don't know if I killed the I'm stupid or the rear end, but either way, they lost my sale at that.

The Tundra in the best possible configuration has a 1550 payload capacity, it is very easy to exceed that and have issues with DOT checkpoints. I have gotten stopped by them and I know what my limits are.

Avalanche....the perfect dive truck.
Had mine for 9 years. Easily handles 36 tanks and a dozen sets of gear.....drywall, plywood and 8' lumber as well....all dry and secure.

I was just at the Chicago auto show this weekend looking for the same thing. I looked at a lot of trucks and liked the Dodge Ram Outdoorsman the most. It has a lot of storage space and I liked the room in the back seats, or at least I think my dive buddies will. I will be purchasing one in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom