Advice Please - I want to take my 5 year old daughter snorkelling in FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lancelot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

My 5 year old daughter is completely fascinated by my adventures in SCUBA diving. She has enjoyed my pictures and stories about seeing "Nemo" and "Dory" et al. Obviously it will be several years before she can use SCUBA equipment but I would love to take her snorkelling in Florida. The trip would not be too expensive and it would allow her to see Ocean life. (We live in Michigan) she is a pretty good litttle swimmer. We will use some sort of snorkelling floatation for her. Can anyone suggest an area in Florida that has some very good snorkelling? I would prefer something right off the shore of a hotel if at all possible. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all. Have a great day and safe diving to one and all.

Lance

I think you can get certified through PADI at age 10 now....won't be too long and you will have a new dive buddy. I got certified at 12 and am very happy I had my dad to teach me diving before I took lessons. Enjoy the snorkeling.

Tons of places to take her. The keys are a great place as water is clear, calm, and predictable. Great for kids and safe. Fun for adults too. heh.

Have fun! My dad taught me how to freedive at 5, it was the greatest influence in my life. As now I'm making it my career. :)

Peanut Island in Palm Beach County has snorkeling right off the shore. there is an area of the beach that is sheltered by rocks and the water is very shallow so she can learn. If she is comfortable, you can go a few steps out where it is deeper. we were there two weekends ago and saw angelfish, parrotfish,some sportfish and lots of little colorful tropicals. It's a nice area. the catch is that you have to take a water taxi to the island.

Or you can rent kayaks. Which is another fun thing to do around peanut island. Plus just north underneath the bridge is one of the finest beach dives in florida: the blue heron bridge.

Thanks All,

Your ideas are GREAT! Of course as you all seem to realize I am interested in some EASY sorkelling conditions due to my daughters age and beginner level abilities. If I am correct it looks like my biggest expense will be the hotel room. It looks like it is pretty tough to find one under $100/night that is very close to the ocean. I guess that's not a big surprise. Please keep the great ideas coming. Also feel free to point out other (non-snorkelling) things for a five year old and her Daddy to do while not soaking and looking for Nemo.

Lance

Crystal River! A fantastic place to take children snorkeling, take her on one of the manatee snorkel charters. Not only will she have a great time, she'll see tons and tons of wildlife, but she'll be able to get up close with a manatee, Florida's most famous underwater attraction. It's always calm water and fun for the whole family(not to mention fairly cheap). Every time I go there there are many families with children her age snorkeling. As an added bonus there is some great cavern diving at the same location! Check out Kings Cavern, it's a great dive and only requires OW Cert.

Shark Reef at Typhoon Lagoon at Walt Disney World.....Plus, there's plenty to do when youre not soaking up the sun :wink:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/parks/attractionDetail?id=SharkReefAttractionPage
"Snorkeling
Imagine floating above leopard and nurse sharks, rays, rainbows of tropical fish and an upside-down sunken ship without venturing into the ocean. Shark Reef at Disney's Typhoon Lagoon water park offers guests the opportunity to explore in snorkel gear, included with admission to Typhoon Lagoon. A supplied-air (scuba assisted) snorkeling program (available for an additional charge) offers young guests their own look at Shark Reef. For more information guests may call 407/824-4321."

Taught my 5 year old grandson last year off the beach at Pennecamp Park in Key Largo. We went on the glass bottom boat first and he had a blast!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom