Advice regarding whale shark trip from Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Souvy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi there, I was planning a dive trip to Cozumel with another person and we were looking to hit up a snorkel trip to see whale sharks in early August (which, as I understand, is a good time for it). We're essentially looking at a day trip, which will be long, but definitely worth it if we can see a whale shark.

The options I've come across are one operation that involves a flight to Holbox Island and the rest seem to involve taking a ferry to Playa del Carmen. So I was hoping someone could clarify whether they all run the trips in the same area or if the Playa del Carmen trips hit waters further east and whether one option is better than the other.

Also, I would greatly appreciate any comments about people's experiences with specific operations and any advice in deciding which one to choose.

Thanks so much in advance, much appreciated. Cheers

If you want to do Holbox from Cozumel and take the ferry+shuttle (which is the most economic way), be prepared to wake up at the butt crack of morning. Most people recommend you take the ferry over the night before and stay on the mainland closer to Holbox.

the playa trips go to Holbox for the trip, you might want to go directly to holbox

Last year we started our trip by flying into Cancun, and stayed 1 night at the north end of the hotel zone (Barcelo). The next morning we were picked-up and drove to Punta Sam, just north of Cancun, where the boat left for about an hour ride (past Holbox as I recall) until we found 'em- and there were many. We took turns in pairs swimming with them, and got plenty of time. We also saw giant mantas (breaching!), turtles, etc. On the way back, we stopped at a reef off of a small island, snorkeled and had fresh ceviche and Corona's for lunch. It was an awesome day, and even my non-diving wife had a great time. She even jumped in with the whale sharks, which for her was big! Then back to the hotel, where they let us use the spa to shower & change. We then took a van to the PDC ferry and a great week on Cozumel.
We went with Mayan Aqua Dive, and Ben was a great help in planning, etc. He arranged the transfers with the same people who do their transfers and it all went great.
Even with the easy start to the day from the hotel, it was a long day. I suggest finding a place to stay and making the trip to Cancun the night before. Have fun!

if you can get the 5am ferry to arrive at playa 6am we ll pick you up in a van, drive you to cancun then off to the sharks, you ll be sharking by 9am (its the easiest option). you ll be back for the to cozumel by 5pm. 12hrs for whale sharks and manta rays, hell yeah!
i ll be out in two weeks to see how the numbers are, theres already tons of plankton in the cancun bay so we should have a awesome season, i ll post a thread!
eric, are you coming again this year??

I agree with DSR-3. Ben has an excellent operation and has a great track record with whale sharks. The folks that I've talked to that have done the whale shark trips with Ben told me that it alone was worth the trip!

The day we were going to go out last Aug. the algae was really bad and there was only one shark about with about 15 boats chasing it. Drop Ben a line at ben@mayanaquadive.com or benrmooney@yahoo.co.uk. You'll have a great time and he won't jerk you around if he thinks the shark trip would be a bust. I can tell you diving with other ops down there, they'll take you out in bad weather once they have your money....

Good luck and great weather!

Jack

hurricane dean gave us trouble last august, the storm changed the currents and with all the rain fall, wave motion etc...it was really hard to find the sharks.
last year we had one day where we didnt find any sharks, doc martin (sb) was on board all the way from puerto aventuras, sorry bud, im still bummed over that myself, unfortuantly the ocean isnt a zoo!
if the weathers fine the sharks are even better, oh, and the mantas too!

The trips go to much the same area, roughly half way between Holbox and Isla Mujeres, where the Caribbean meets the Golf of Mexico. Due to the change in depth of the sea and the currents at this time of year, it is an ideal feeding ground for the whalesharks.

Record numbers have been seen this year too, leading to speculation from guides/captains that the oil spill in the golf has forced them further south.

There is an excellent option by air available for little more than $300 per person, you can find a good discussion about the difference between the land and air trips here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/346047-whale-sharks-cozumel-isla-m-word-about-logistics.html

I've done the flight trip myself and it really is a day you will never forget. There are never any guarantees with nature of course, but we saw leaping manta rays, dolphins, rayas doradas (golden rays?) and heaps of catfish too. Not to mention swimming with an 8m whale shark!

Enjoy! Ian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom