Advise on solution for near sight diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use multi-focal contacts that are different strengths. That way you can still see when you remove your mask and don't have to worry about your glasses getting broken.The left one is for reading my computer and the right one one is more for distance. I just leave them in for the whole time we are on vacation. ACUVUE OASYS® for Presbyopia | ACUVUE® Contact Lenses

I'm in the same boat and just discussed this with the optometrist at my check-up. She suggested looking into prescription masks at the local shops but I'd have the same problem - I'd be able to see great far but wouldnt be able to see my DC, SPG or other things right in front of my face (such as the macro critters I love to watch and photo!)

I'm in the same boat and just discussed this with the optometrist at my check-up. She suggested looking into prescription masks at the local shops but I'd have the same problem - I'd be able to see great far but wouldnt be able to see my DC, SPG or other things right in front of my face (such as the macro critters I love to watch and photo!)

Why not?

Because my mask would be adjusted for distance correction. Like using distance classes for reading a book. What I'm trying to figure out is if there is some kind of bifocal setup avialable for facemasks so that I can see properly when looking at things up close and at a distance.

I can see far just fine but can't see my DC I use the DGX mask with the two lower +2 lens

Because my mask would be adjusted for distance correction. Like using distance classes for reading a book. What I'm trying to figure out is if there is some kind of bifocal setup avialable for facemasks so that I can see properly when looking at things up close and at a distance.
They make bifocal dive masks. www.prescriptiondivemasks.com

Hi,
I have a real problem which I don't know how to solve..
Basically, I am near-sighted - so I need optical glasses in order to see clear from far. The problem is that to read a book (or for that matter, to see my dive computer/watch) I need to take off my glasses. I can read very clearly without any glasses. The problem is obviously underwater - I have an optical mask which allow me to see clear far away, but when I need to read my DC, I am in trouble. Is there any solution for this problem? I am thinking to mount a magnifying glass on my DC - just desperately need a solution here... I don't think a multi-focal will help here since I don't need a reading lense...
Thanks in advance!
Itay
I think I have a solution for you. Follow this link to the webpage for the SeawiscopeEY:
Ever Young: a true near vision aid for divers

The SeawiscopeEY was developed by an optometrist in Hong Kong, and will allow you to read your gauges while still having your far vision from your corrected mask. It flips up and out of the way when not in use. I have been using mine for years, and got to know the optometrist, who taught optometry at a college in Hong Kong. He has created a very nice attachment for the mask, which gives anyone very close vision underwater. Here is a video I put together showing me using the SeawiscopeEY underwater in the Clackamas River, near Portland, Oregon.

SeaRat

Prescriptiondivemasks.com has helped me on two masks over 7-8 years. Linda Young was great to work with.

Prescriptiondivemasks.com has helped me on two masks over 7-8 years. Linda Young was great to work with.

I’ve had her do over 100 masks for my customers. No letdowns yet and she’s wonderful to work with.

I don't know if you can find one anywhere anymore, but I used a hydrooptix mask for several years - I was coke-bottle near-sighted and they helped immensely. Diving Mask -- Welcome To HydroOptix is where you can get more info

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom