Aeris Atmos ai Computer Connection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwalsh787

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I recently bought a new Atmos ai 2 with QD. I really love the computer from a diving perspective (have tried it out in the pool thus far and really like the readout and the info displayed), but I am having trouble getting it to connect with my computer.

I am running XP (computer was bought in 2006 from Dell--same Operating system with requisite updates since). I recently updated my BIOS and chipset on my computer hoping that would help to no avail. I also downloaded the latest Windows 32 bit drivers from the Aeris site and also the latest version of the computer interface, also to no avail.

When I connect, the Atmos computer starts its countdown, but nothing happens and it times out. When I try to initiate the connection through the interface while the computer is counting down, I get a Timed Out message fairly quickly. When I choose Dive Computer on the interface, I cannot enter the serial number (I am assuming that the software is designed to get this from the Atmos via the handshake, but it doesn not seem to be able to do that).

On the PC side, the Atmos also doesn't show in the My Computer section while plugged in even though the PC "dings" when I plug in the USB from the Atmos.

I'm sure the fix is simple (and likely "User Error"):idk:, but any help anyone could provide would be most appreciated.

Mike

Check out your comm port assignment, otherwise call oceanic and they can talk you through fixing it.

I was on the phone with their call center for a while on a connection issue as well.... They made me change the comm ports and went over a bunch of other things. At the end it didn't work and they were as baffled as I was. I ended up setting up one of my old computers with a clean Windows XP and it works fine on that. Now I have an old computer dedicated to my logs...
All in all, it's a great dive computer but their connection robustness sucks.

Thanks, Bubble. Good to know it isn't just me:)

I love the computer itself...but the computer connection thing, not so much.

When I hear back from Tech Support, I'll post whatever solution we come up with in the event it can help you as well.

Have a great day!

Mike

Just heard back from Tech Support at Oceanic/Aeris.

The issue appeared to be that there a number of different Atmos ai choices. Mine has metal buttons and Rob made me aware that there was a seperate choice for that in the menu (which up until then I hadn't seen). Once that was chosen, it worked. The computer cable also must be unplugged/re-plugged each time you want to read from or write to the unit (seperate menu choices). So it doesn't work exactly like traditional hardware that is plug and play. It must be reconnected and re-commanded for each function. Once I learned that, it got much easier.

Rob was extremely helpful and great to deal with. He took me through not only the things I was having trouble with, but also a number of really cool features I didn't know how to access. He really knew his stuff and took the time to explain it to me in detail. He also gave me a number of great practical tips on using this computer. He is also a diver and uses a similar unit, so he was able to provide suggestions that were extremely helpful.

I have now had consistently positive experience with Oceanic Customer service. In addition to this instance, I had contacted them about six months agao with excellent results. Even though reaching them took a while this time, the end product was well worth it.

Thanks to all those who responded and to the good folks at Oceanic/Aeris!

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom