Aeris Atmos Elite-the good and bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

somno

Reaction score
I purchased 2 of these hoseless computers from scubatoys (highly recommend these guys) for my wife and me. Had them tested for about 6 dives at the store then went on a two week dive trip to Indonesia averaging 4 dives per day.

My computer worked flawlessly except for brief (few second) interruptions of transmission and I have been very happy using it. There was another couple on the trip with the similar Aeris Atmos ai which had never given them trouble over the past 2 years.

My wife's computer worked great until her seventh dive when it suddenly put her in violation mode for no apparent reason and then locked up (she was diving right next to me with the same dive profile prior to this). After 24 hours she tried the computer again (using her old setup as the primary computer) and the Atmos Elite worked for about 10 minutes then started reading depths of 2-300 feet and then locked up again.

Scubatoys is replacing the computer immediately (very good service and no hassles) but it does seem that Aeris has a quality control issue that has not yet been fully resolved.

I was initially concerned when buying this computer due to other reports about problems but was reassured (by the Aeris reps at a recent scuba show and the guys at Scubatoys) that this had been worked out. Clearly, Aeris still has some work to do to make sure that the failure rate on equipment that people stake their lives on should be exceedingly rare rather than commonplace.

somno:
I purchased 2 of these hoseless computers from scubatoys (highly recommend these guys) for my wife and me. Had them tested for about 6 dives at the store then went on a two week dive trip to Indonesia averaging 4 dives per day.

My computer worked flawlessly except for brief (few second) interruptions of transmission and I have been very happy using it. There was another couple on the trip with the similar Aeris Atmos ai which had never given them trouble over the past 2 years.

My wife's computer worked great until her seventh dive when it suddenly put her in violation mode for no apparent reason and then locked up (she was diving right next to me with the same dive profile prior to this). After 24 hours she tried the computer again (using her old setup as the primary computer) and the Atmos Elite worked for about 10 minutes then started reading depths of 2-300 feet and then locked up again.

Scubatoys is replacing the computer immediately (very good service and no hassles) but it does seem that Aeris has a quality control issue that has not yet been fully resolved.

I was initially concerned when buying this computer due to other reports about problems but was reassured (by the Aeris reps at a recent scuba show and the guys at Scubatoys) that this had been worked out. Clearly, Aeris still has some work to do to make sure that the failure rate on equipment that people stake their lives on should be exceedingly rare rather than commonplace.

I heard that there has been some problems with Aeris products having water leaking into the display. At least on ther older models.

Have you had or heard anything like this happening on the Aeris Elite?

zyxomma:
I heard that there has been some problems with Aeris products having water leaking into the display. At least on ther older models.

Have you had or heard anything like this happening on the Aeris Elite?

I have spoken to many Aeris Elite owners and have never heard of a leaking problem.

I have since gone on another dive trip with my Aeris Elite and it still functions perfectly. The replacement for my wife worked perfectly during the trip.

It sounds like there is a quality control problem in that a small (but significant) percentage of the computers do have problems but most of them to work fine.

I have 6 dives so far on my Elite and I'm happy , the only problem I have had is
contacting Aeris Support Via the Internet Twice and a message left on there help
line once. I have not gotten a reply just over 2 weeks , still waiting . Maybe you
can help me I couldn't find a serial # on the Elite computer and I am not willing to rip
off the straps and rubber jacket. So I sent in the Warranty card with the Transmitter
serial # and a note that I couldn't find a serial # on the computer and that I have tried
to contact them via e-mail twice and phone with to such luck. I sure hope it is not like this when I have a serious issue or problem . A might have to do a Map Quest and
find this company I guess I'm luck they are in California.

AQUAMAN2:
I have 6 dives so far on my Elite and I'm happy , the only problem I have had is
contacting Aeris Support Via the Internet Twice and a message left on there help
line once. I have not gotten a reply just over 2 weeks , still waiting . Maybe you
can help me I couldn't find a serial # on the Elite computer and I am not willing to rip
off the straps and rubber jacket. So I sent in the Warranty card with the Transmitter
serial # and a note that I couldn't find a serial # on the computer and that I have tried
to contact them via e-mail twice and phone with to such luck. I sure hope it is not like this when I have a serious issue or problem . A might have to do a Map Quest and
find this company I guess I'm luck they are in California.

Where did you buy it from?? You should have a card that the shop that sold it to you filled out with the serial number... a shop employee is supposed to sign it and put down their shop acct #. The box that is came in has the serial number on it. It is a sticker on the side of the box with a bar code with the serial number written below it.

And if all else fails... take the computer when it is off. Push the front button and hold it... do not let it up. If you keep holding it down - it will go through its countdown test, then it will display the firmware rev and the serial number...

So really no need to rip it apart...

scubatoys:
Where did you buy it from?? You should have a card that the shop that sold it to you filled out with the serial number... a shop employee is supposed to sign it and put down their shop acct #. The box that is came in has the serial number on it. It is a sticker on the side of the box with a bar code with the serial number written below it.

And if all else fails... take the computer when it is off. Push the front button and hold it... do not let it up. If you keep holding it down - it will go through its countdown test, then it will display the firmware rev and the serial number...

So really no need to rip it apart...

Great Larry ,

Well they did everything else, but put down the Serial #'s , I did find the Transmitter
serial # that was it. I made a copy of the Warranty card , I will e-mail the serial# to
the Support address and mail a copy thanking them for there help ! What's the big
secert on the serial # location . You would think they would be glad to help , Hell you
spend close to $900.00 for there product , and not one attempts to help from this company. They may as far as I know tell me to screw myself on this Warranty all because , I didn't know any better to ask to have the number filled in for me, I though
it was my job. They did fill in all there info. Name , Signature and Store # .I though
I was set . This not receiving ANY answer back form the Aeris Support e-mail or phone
Support line, is Making me think twice about any more Aeris purchase !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom