AF35 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbilicska

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm a snorkeler who usually snorkels in about 15 or so feet of water and free dives down to take my pictures. I'm strongly considering replacing my old Olympus 7070 camera with a Sony RX100 1 and an Ikelite housing. The price of the original one has dropped down into my price range .
Being a snorkeler who swims around quite a bit will the Ikelite AF 35 help my photos. Size and drag would be a big consideration. I don't plan on doing macro . Hopefully we're heading down to Bonaire again and would love to get some more shots under the pier.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice
Joe

I haven't used any strobe yet, but from what my research has told me the YS-03 package is a lot more powerful. It is actually what I ordered and I'm awaiting on (i was sent one that was broken so it is being replaced by Sea and Sea, I purchased through HousingCamera "Moziak Cameras" They have been wonderful in my communications and service with them) . I am using the RX100M2 in a ikelite housing. The power is 20 guide number compared to I believe 16. The recycle rate is also much quicker on YS-03 so depending on your breathing ability you could potentially get two shots in one breath down below.

In my short time with the YS-03 i thought it was a pretty compact unit, and if you decide to expand you can attach a fibre optic cable from another strobe to the YS-03 and use the manual setting on the new strobe to optimize your flash power.

The degree of angle is also a major upgrade from 70 degrees for the A35 compared to 105 degrees for YS-03 you really can get an overall better lighting in your photo.

I am no expert and either system is a upgrade compared to no strobe but by the numbers the YS-03 is a better system

Last edited:
a snorkler in bonaire only needs a strobe at night. there is lots of light at 15 feet.

for snorkeling i suggest the smallest camera possible in order to reduce drag. so no strobe or arm, NO housing even..

take a look at the olympus tough cameras. no need for a housing at snorkel depths.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom