"Affordable" place in St Croix ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, before you go bonkers I did a couple of searches. But I came up with more threads that had zip to do with St Croix than those that did.

Anyway, I am looking for a place to stay in St Croix that wont break the bank. It can be a block or so from the beach if that helps. Hopefully no more than $125 a day.

Anyone know of such a place.

AC in bedroom would be a big plus.

It depends on what you're looking for, but in Christiansted (more eastern part of the island, and more populated) try the King Christian hotel in Christiansted. If you want to go diving, it's located in Christiansted just a few minutes walk away from two dive shops and their boats. If you want to spend the day on the beach, you can take a ferry ride to the beach at Hotel on the Cay. On the west end there's Cottages on the Sea in your price range. The beach at cottages is gorgeous white sand, with great snorkeling. You can also walk into Frederiksted and go diving with several shops from either the Frederiksted pier, or from their boats to the west end reefs or wrecks. Aside from hanging out at the beach and a couple of OK restaurants and the diving there's not a lot to do in Frederiksted. That may be what you're looking for :D

Webpage for the King Christian: http://www.kingchristian.com/
I can't find a webpage for Cottages but you can find their address if you do a google search.

We stayed at the Hotel Caravelle in Christiansted a long time ago, it was older but not bad. Right on the waterfront, downtown/no beach - handy for walking around downtown to shops and restaurants though. St Croix UW Adventures (SCUBA) is based there and their boat leaves from there.

Also try the Holger Danske (best western) Its an older hotel and very basic,but if cost is an issue its the place for you.Loacted in the same area as the King Christian, and Caravalle.

Hi,

5 years ago we stayed at The Waves at Cane Bay. It was like a Howard Johnson's Hotel, but it had a great house reef and was close to the shore diving at Cane Bay. I have no idea what it is like now or if it is still in operation. We had a great time. We rented a truck and drove all over and also did some boat dives with an operation that the Waves arranged for us. On the house reef I had my first open ocean dive encounter with a pod of dolphins.
Laine

The waves is OK, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. It's been through several changes of ownership over the past few years and the restaurant hasn't been open in over a year and some (most) of the rooms are in desperate need of renovations. Plus the rates will go up to winter rates very shortly and will be higher than the OP asked for.

I was reading on TripAdvisor, I think that was it...one of those trip places where people can rate places....and St Croix didnt get a good rating for safety and friendly locals. Actually mentioned being harrassed and given "hand signs" by a number of locals. Is it really that bad??

I found a place called Sugar Hill By The Sea that looks pretty good.

Treat people with respect and friendliness, and you'll generally get the same in return, same as anywhere else. Come off acting like the lord of the plantation and, well you could get some attitude. Occasionally you'll find a crackhead looking for a hand out,but unless it's late and in a bad part of town no one will brain you for your vacation money.

Cheney Bay is also A nice place to stay. Havent been to sugar hill. When were you planning on coming?

Depend on work schedule, but in the Aug ...Sep time frame.

Sugar Hill or Sugar Beach? If it's sugar beach, the condos are OK, but the beach isn't the best. Chenay Bay is good too, but I think their rates are (suprising to me) higher than you were asking about. However, Chenay Bay has a meal option that includes breakfast and dinner plus their beach and activities on the beach are great.
http://www.chenaybay.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom