After cooler for Bauer K14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nordiver

Registered
Reaction score
I have a Bauer K14 mod 4 with an after cooler with fins. This is somewhat rusty and I'm not sure how long it will last before it puncture. I wonder if there will be enough cooling if I create a new of a tube without fins and let it go a few extra laps behind the cooling fan or must it have fins to cool the air enough before the oil / water sepparator?

There is a reason those fins are there and I believe you have answered your own question.:wink:

Craig

Ok. Thanks for the quick reply. I was just wondering because I believe I have seen other compressors without fins on aftercoolers.But as you type it's probably a reason why they are there.

If your 4th stage cooler lets go, make a coil of tubing that will fit inside a clear lexan tube about 2 inches in diameter. Cap both ends of the tube and seal the slots where the coil ends pass through with marine sealant, 3M 4200 or 5200. Tap the plugs for garden hose fittings, and run cool tap water through the sleeve to cool the 4th stage. You will be amazed at how much dryer your air is, and how much longer your Final Separator lasts. Put this coil in place of your old 4th stage cooler.

Sounds WONDERFULL¡¡¡ I do hava a k 14 my self and I like the idea¡ do you have any pics xplaining a litlle detail???

Here's what I added to my 18 CFM American Bristol Compressor.

A bit more involved, same basic idea.

Post_Welding_with_Separator.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Components_Pre_Assembly.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

End_detail.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Plastic_Spacer.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Truing_3_Inch_Tube.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

This is connected to a small lab chiller ~ .5 ton that can pull the water down to about 35 degrees F.

The gas leaving the heat exchanger is about 45 degrees F. I had to add a heater to the auto drain valve on the coalescing separator or it will freeze.

Really dry air, virtually no moisture reaches the desiccant bed.

Tobin

SWEEEETTTTTTT........... and beautiful. Looks even better than most marine diesel engine heat exchanger of that shape !!!

Two thumbs up to you Tobin :wink:

Tobin, do you have any pics of the seals you used on the header plate? I'm looking at constructing a similar setup and I'd like to see how you're doing it. Thanks, Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom