After Uncontrolled Ascent - Weight pockets - update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaseeker

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
With so much interest about the loss of weight pockets, I thought I'd give an update after my frightening uncontrolled ascent - weight insert loss experience. Before venturing on a holiday to Musandum, I took my Mares Prestige BCD back and told them of the uncontrolled ascent and the problem of the weight pockets falling out. The dealer tried each mechanism himself and did not argued with my view :wink:, instead saying it would be send it away for a check out. A week later I went back and he returned it but with new inserts and suggested I try these out before sending to check out the internal mechanism itself. I was okay about this, but this time I did two things:

1. tied fine rope/string to each weight insert and to BCD as a precaution

2. distributed 2 kilos in each pocket maximum and two each in rear pockets. (8 kilos total)

On the next series of dives, none of the weights moved out - thank goodness, and I could sense much more friction in the inserts then previous.

Conclusion:

I will never entirely trust weight pockets again but I will keep the tied-line as an extra precaution. My Buddy mate has a Dragon BC and he uses spairegun loops instead after his weight pocket losses.

I also feel Mares should consider a warning people about the potential risk of weight pocket loss and advise purchasers to take a precaution and distribute the weights across the rest of the body (possibly a maximum 2 kilos in each insert) so that, in case a pocket does falls out, one can not be in danger of an uncontrolled ascent, noting that this defect could have been very serious indeed.

Extra info background: my uncontrolled ascent occurred after loss of one weight pocket in about 7 metres of water. A relatively new Prestige BC.

I would be concerned about securing the weight pocket by cord. How do you jettison the weights in an emergency, should this be required? Obviously the premature release of weights can be a risk in-itself (not to mention an expense). I would be more inclined to take back the BC and exchange it for a system that works properly, before I would tie in the weight system.

Are weight belt manufacturers going to publish a disclaimer explaining the dangers of yout weight belt coming undone? Come on... These are things divers should know about and there is no need for extra disclaimers...:shakehead:

Are they going to have to print disclaimers about the dangers of air running out and the potential danger of not having any more air to breath? Enough is enough here..,. Weight pockets can come out accidentally... On any BCD (even weight belts)!!!!!! You need to know that, and what to do if it happens...
And especially how to prevent it (precautions to take). If people don't realise that, they are missing an important aspect of diving! General security! And probably shouldn't be diving...

Sorry, this is nothing personal... But I'm a bit sick of the "everything needs to be disclaimed" attitude... :shakehead: People need to take responsability for themselves! Especially when doing dangerous activities like diving!

Back
Top Bottom