Afternoon beach and snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in too deep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I will be in Cozumel during the first week of August. She does not dive and does not have an interest in diving, that said she does want to snorkel. I'll be diving during the morning. Where should we go during the afternoons to snorkel and enjoy a beach. We'd have to rent transportation or a taxi.
thx.
Staying at Casa Mexicana

Last edited:
To get the best of both, you will have to go way down south. If you want to pay about $20 for admission, you can get a big beach and snorkeling at Chankanaab. If you do a dolphin or manatee encounter, you get the admission included.

Personally, I would recommend Money Bar. There's a little bit of a man made beach, good food and drinks, free use of tables and beach chairs, and it's not too long/expensive of a cab ride. They don't have a reef Paradise would be jealous of, but it's not too bad for snorkeling.

Book an afternoon snorkel trip to Colombia Shallows.

If you want a cheap and easy option, carry your snorkel gear and walk down to Hotel Barracuda and snorkel there. There is a pool with a swim up bar when you're done. You can get lunch there, too. Not much of a beach but there is a sandy area with tables and chairs.

+1 on Colombia Shallows. It's one of my favorite 2nd dives and I have seen bikini fish several times. They sometimes get to see scuba fish.

Cheers -

Walk 12 blocks north on Melgar (main waterfront Boulevard) and there's a 2 story thatched roof place on the water called El Bungalow. It has a nice, small quiet beach next to it on the north side. Totally free and safe. Open to public, no currents -- and you've got food, drink and banos for your convenience at El Bungalow. Great place for cheap, good sunset supper as well.

Been there, done that -- worked for me and the missus.

I'd assume Casa Mexicana since that is where he is staying. On C4Y forum they said a few days ago that Bungalow was closed for awhile and is now renovated and reopened as La Manina.

I'd assume Casa Mexicana since that is where he is staying.
Ah. Missed that somehow.

One thing to consider is going on a Cielo Cruise. Blue Angel conducts them weekly (Fridays?) but other ops do as well. Blue Angel's trip includes snorkeling at Colombia Shallows when conditions allow (Money Bar when it's too wavy at the island's south end) and time at Cielo Beach, where the depth of the water is 3'-4' out a couple hundred yards from shore. Food, open bar, music, and "entertainment" by BA personnel.

Last edited:
I’m going to second Chankanaab Park. Great facilities, beach, chairs, palapas, bar, restaurant, dive/snorkeling shops, good snorkeling, even shore diving. Great place to hang for a leisurely afternoon. Main downside is there is an admission fee (USD$21) so if you’re doing this more than once it can get costly.

Back
Top Bottom