Agency change at LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nivtup

Reaction score
Well, the dive shop where I started my training was a PADI shop, and has since moved to new facilities (much improved) and has changed to being SSI based.

What is the history on SSI, it looks like an agency structured to help the LDS sell more equipmet, not impove on the training side of the fence.

I understand they heve to sell equipment to survive, and the new shop looks great, offers more packages, etc etc.

So, the question really is, if I continue forward in training to gain Nitrox, and possibly more,

Does it matter if the new certs are SSI? Is there a crossover issue here?

Should I contact a different PADI shop? (also local)

Or look at IANTD?

Comments please.

nivtup,

I can understand your concern, SSI is primarily a marketing organization, but then so is PADI. PADI's history is one of watering down not improving training. I do not have a copy of SSI's standards (I'd love to get one if you can swing it), but it is unlikely that the quality of your classes will go down. They are likely to actually improve.

DSSW,

WWW™

If you'd like to compare SSI standards with any other agency I'll be happy to provide them - in general, SSI requires more actual diving for any given level of certification than the others.
From the SSI site:
"With all the professional training programs out there, why should you choose to become an SSI Diver?

"Quality Dealers. SSI Authorized Dealers are carefully selected to meet our high standards. We only work with full-service, reputable retailers and resorts who run a professional scuba school, sell and service equipment, and offer additional services to meet all your diving needs.

"Quality Instructors. SSI is the only agency that requires instructors to affiliate with a full-service Authorized Dealer. SSI Instructors are monitored on-site for adherence to the SSI Training Standards, professional conduct and performance, to ensure your course is taught right.

"SSI's the Leader in Home Study Training. Home study is the hottest thing in dive training because it allows you to spend more time in the water developing ability and comfort. In 1990 SSI pioneered this technique, and we're still the leader today.
Comfort Through Repetition. SSI Instructors use our highly-effective water training method called Comfort Through Repetition. Scuba skills become second nature, so you can relax and enjoy yourself when you go diving.

"World-Wide Respect and Recognition. SSI divers are respected all over the world because of SSI's reputation for training excellent divers. With over 1,900 Authorized Dealers in 90 countries, your SSI certification card will be welcomed anywhere you want to dive.

"Scuba Schools International has a long and rich history. Since 1970, Scuba Schools International and its innovative Dealers and Instructors have made numerous contributions to the art and science of dive education. The cumulative result is a very personal and highly effective method of teaching that produces comfortable, confident divers. Over the years, we've developed precisely-written course materials that define our personalized way of learning.

"International Scope
"In 1983, with the opening of SSI Southeast Asia, Scuba Schools International began to take shape as a worldwide network of Regional Centers that today covers the globe. Scuba Schools International's 21 Regional Centers serve the needs of divers, instructors and dealers, and are structured so that they can give special attention to diving industry issues in their respective region. Through this international network, hundreds of thousands of people have become comfortable, confident divers and contributed significantly to the development of an organized, global scuba industry.

"Merger of SSI and NASDS
"In the Spring of 1999, SSI merged with the National Association of Scuba Diving Schools (NASDS) and created a new synergy in the dive industry. The sales and marketing expertise of NASDS, when joined with the renowned educational products of SSI, created a stronger company that is in a better position to serve Dealers, Instructors, and ultimately, Divers.
Together, SSI and NASDS are responsible for a remarkable list of innovations and consequently have been recognized with the highest honors in the diving industry. Some of our most noteworthy accomplishments include:

"First to require open water classes for certification.
First integrated teaching systems.
First to require six open water dives for certification.
First to create a sales and marketing program to benefit retailers.
First to require visual inspections of cylinders.
First to introduce a buoyancy compensator device.
First to introduce a safe second stage (octopus).
First full-motion video training system.
First equipment inspection program.
First risk awareness video.
First to develop a total dive log and recognition system.
Bob Clark, founder of SSI, and John Gaffney, founder of NASDS, are both given the "Reaching Out Award" and inducted into the scuba industry's hall of fame in 1999.
Also in 1999, Bob Clark is honored with the pretigious NOGI award for his contributions to dive education; an award also previously given to John Gaffney."

Rick

Does it matter if the new certs are SSI? Is there a crossover issue here?

You didn't mention what training level you are at currently, but most agencies will either accept your cert at par, or allow you to crossover with a minimum of fuss. You might want to check into what this would entail with SSI.

However, it doesn't sound like you are particularly pleased with your LDS. Maybe there is a more fundamental issue here? Sounds as though you feel they are pushing you to buy gear... understandable that you are unhappy.

I guess I'd like to ask you to think about what your dive goals are. Once you decide, find an Instructor who can help you fulfil them. THIS is the main thing.

Agency affiliation is irrelevant. Go with people who share your outlook on diving and can help you grow and enjoy the sport.

~SubMariner~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom