Aggressor Fleet v Dancer Fleet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you don't already know, a lot of the Aggressor and Dancer boats are leased boats and not owned by the Aggressor/Dancer marketing organization. If I have a choice, I would always choose a privately run boat over an Aggressor or Dancer any day of the week.
I have been on a few Aggressors and was happy with the whole experience. But I opted for a non-Aggressor in Cocos--with no regrets--based on reviews I read here and elsewhere. Which Aggressors and Dancers do you feel are not the best in their markets, and what is your opinion based on?

I would vote for Cocos after my one experience with them (2005). That's the only Aggressor trip I've done that I didn't feel measured up to my Aggressor fleet expectations. Excellent crew, but many boat issues.

Galapagos II, Palau, and T&C were all excellent, if not flawless (when I can't find a single thing to complain about, that's flawless IMO). Some minor issues with the now defunct Tahiti boat. My only Dancer was the Sky (Galapagos) and they've since defected. I had mixed feelings about that boat (minor crew issues, two major cabin issues), but as they're combined now, I wouldn't "boycott" Dancer over that one experience.

My non-Aggressor/Dancer experiences range from excellent to mixed. If I had absolutely no intention of doing any pre-trip homework whatsoever, I'd probably feel comfortable jumping on any Aggressor or Dancer boat. I wouldn't trust an independent, except for the handful of boats our there that have deservedly wide-spread excellent reputations (Truk Odyssey, Nai'a, etc.) unless I did plenty of homework. Even with the widely reputed ones, I'd still want some recent updates. Boats can change, crews can change, owners can change.

Having been on Aggressor and Dancer Fleets (and I will most probably stay faithful if I have the choice in any given destination they provide) there are other boats I want to hit up. I've heard good things in Australia's GBR and Coral Sea regarding the Mike Ball liveaboard. They apparently do a great job. Though living in Hawaii and being reasonably close to the south Pacific, I'm not much of a Caribbean hound - but I've heard good thing about Explorer Ventures AND most of all Aqua Cat Cruises in the Bahamas. I dove the Bahamas (Grand Bahama Island) in 2001 and was wishing like HELL I could do it from a liveaboard - much less a luxury liveaboard! So Aqua Cat is on my to-do list. This online board really raves about Nai'a in what I believe is in Fiji - but me being a mindless "aggressor/dancer zombie" I'll probably still hit the Island Dancer in Fiji :)

I'd also love to hit Antarctica at some point in the next decade and there's a handful of boats that make dive trips down that way and I'd love to do that as well.

I've heard good things in Australia's GBR and Coral Sea regarding the Mike Ball liveaboard. They apparently do a great job.
Mike Ball was a well-run operation when I dived aboard the Spoilsport on two separate trips to the Coral Sea, but that was quite a while ago.

I think Nai'a would be better in Fiji, not because of any prob with Dancer boats, but just from their experience in the area. Now if we could get their price down a little. With airfares to Fiji so high, and boat prices pretty much the same everywhere, it's difficult to justify going to Fiji for the same price, though diving would be very good to great.

I've been on the Dancer and I visited the Aggressor in dock (in Belize). I agree with what was said mostly. Both are good boats. I chose the Dancer on price but the crew and the trip in general were very good. Choose a liveaboard for your personality - if you are outgoing, choose a ship with large common areas. If not, try to get some quiet space or bigger cabins. Either way, you can't beat the motto - eat, sleep, dive!

I've been on three Aggressors: Cayman, T&C and Utila. Their standards are very high and as always with diving, having fun is also up to you. I'm considering the BA or Dancer in October and know I'll be satisified with the accommodations; I'm 65 and need a little TLC, but still love to party...until bedtime:eyebrow:

I took a little adventure to see what a sail liveaboards would be like and was on the Avalon out of Nassau last month. Here's a review: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...veaboard-one-step-nicer-than-blackbeards.html

Happy diving...:turtle:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom