Ahh What??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given that the OP is new to diving. What may have been said to him by his friend was something along these lines (clarification added).

Friend: Hey Joe, I'm going diving this summer. Want to go along?
Joe: But I'm not certified to dive.
Friend: You can go to Aqua Hut and take the class. That's where I got certified. It cost me $245.
Joe: $245! That's a lot of money.
Friend: Yeah, but you only have to do it once and you're certified for life.
Joe: I don't know if I'll even like diving. Will I have to buy all that stuff you use for diving before I take the class?
Friend: Typically, people don't buy the expensive gear initially. They will only buy the mask, fins, snorkel and wetsuit and rent the other stuff. The best part about the class is you don't have to buy any gear (right now), the gear is included in the class fee. They provide you with everything; your mask, fins, snorkel and wetsuit (Meaning the LDS provides all the rental gear, including mask, fins, snorkel and wetsuit. with the class fee.)
Joe: Well, I guess if the gear is included in the price it isn't so bad. I'll sign up tomorrow. (Thinking "When you factor in the cost to buy the mask, fins, snorkel and wetsuit; the cost of the actual class is only $50.)

Next day after paying for the class.
Joe: So, which one of these mask do I need to get?
LDS: Well, I would recommend a low volume mask. They are easier to clear. You will need a mask that fits your face so it is comfortable and doesn't leak. Here is a good one for $30. Try it on. (Thinking "This guy is smart buying a mask now. It is so much easier learning when you have a mask that seals properly".)
Joe: Aren't the mask and stuff were included in the cost of the class? That's what my friend told me yesterday. (These people are trying to rip me off! I saw there ad online saying the gear was included.)
LDS: No, we have stuff you can use during the class but it is only for use during the class.
Joe: Ok, well I'll come back later to get the other stuff.

Later after getting the used gear from a friend, Joe calls the LDS.

Joe: So what time do I need to show up for the class?
LDS: Well, the class starts at 6:00 but show up a little early the first day so you can pick out gear that fits you.
Joe: Oh I don't have to do that. I've got all my own stuff that I bought from a buddy of mine. I got that floaty vest, the mouthpiece and other stuff.
LDS: (Thinking "Great, another guy that bought his buddy's problems".) Well, we need to check it all (meaning regulator, octo, BCD, hoses, etc) out before you use it in class. You will probably need to have the gear (Thinking "That has been sitting in his friends garage for the past 5 years") serviced. But be prepared, it could cost as much as $200 to service it all (Thinking "leaking bladder, leaking/rotting hoses, complete rebuild of the reg & octo").
Joe: $200! (These guys are trying to rip me off! I know the reg is good, all we had to do was change a few o rings in the reg. It worked just fine in the bath tub after we did that.)

How far off do you think this is?

Having your boots, mask, and fins included in a $245 class fee isn't going to happen. OTOH, if they're quoting a $200 repair bill for equipment they haven't seen, I think it's time to look for another shop.

I took an OW class for less than that and it included SM&F. Now the SM&F that came with it were very cheap but they put the value of that set towards the purchase of a good set. That is not an uncommon package.

I am certified with this LDS and had most all the gear i needed to get OWC in april this year and never had an issue with it. the class costs do not include mask fins or snorkel, nor the OW fee for your instructor, or the shops fee for your card. Jeff can come off a bit curt sometimes and of course he would like to sell you gear, but he is a nice guy and i do like the shop. Without seeing it, 200 to service a BC 1st and 2nd stage and guages is not out of the question, and your reg should be rebuilt and setup on a flow bench prior to use. I had a used titan rebuilt, but it was not tuned and it was very hard breathing. Since then I have bought a legend lx supreme and tuned them both, titan is now on my pony bottle. Service used gear no matter where it came from and try his rental stuff too. get a feel for different things and decide what you like. His policy is try before you buy and he does mean it. I am taking more classes from aqua hut and hope to see you there sometime. feel free to ask me anything, will do my best to point you in the right direction.

Generally speaking, in the US, the cost for an open water scuba diver class is around $300 plus or minus a few. This fee usually includes a package that has study material, dive table and other knick knacks, it also includes the use of BC, regulator and wet suit (if water is too cold).

Students are suppose to provide for snorkel, mask and fins. In colder climes, add gloves and booties. This lot of "stuff" is called personal/basic gears.

HOWEVER, there is one shop in the Houston Area (Maximum Scuba) includes snorkel/mask/fins. That's the only shop that I know of that would provide personal gears to the students.

As far as the shops are reluctant to let students bringing their own equipment into the class, I can see their point. The shop and instructor are liable for the health & welfare of the students and they'd want to make sure that the students are equipped with functional gears. The only way they'd know that the gears are functional is by checking on the gears.

So, to the OP, why would you want to bring your privately purchased equipment to the class? Your fee already included equipment rental from the shop. Use their equipment. But for some reasons you must insist on using your own gear then you must allow the shop to check the gear and ensure that the equipment is to function properly. This will cost you a few bucks because the shop technicians don't work for free.

As far as the $200 quote goes, it's only an estimate. The shop doesn't know what's wrong with your gear so it's pretty hard for them to give you an accurate quote.

Hi Everybody...I am new to scuba and I have a few questions. I just signed up for diving classes at Aqua Hut in Toledo, Ohio and paid the $245.00 class fee. I was told by a friend that I would get boots, fins, mask and snorkel with my class fee. That did not happen. Then I mentioned that I purchased a all season BC and attachment with regulator and gauges that was through a friend of mine. This friend is on the dive team for Washtenaw County Sheriff dept. and I doubt he would have sold me something defective. I even took the BC and etc. to pvtstashes house and we tested it. The only thing that needed to be done was new O-rings but other than that the stuff was perfect. The first thing Aqua hut told me after I told them that I bought a BC and etc. and that I was new to diving was that my regulator would probably:confused: need a rebuild for $200.00! Any thoughts from the diving community?? I have already paid for my classes and pvtstash and myself agree not to make waves until class is done and I think I will rent my gear and have it serviced elsewhere. I am just disappointed because I really wanted to go with a local shop for service and repair. Am I being hosed here???

Its unfortunate that you were given the wrong information. Normally, students must purchase the "personal" items like Mask, Fins, Snorkel, gloves, and boots.

As for getting your gear from a friend, there's nothing wrong with where you get your gear so long as its safe and working. I have taken a few regulators to shops that didn't sell that brand and they quoted me some very high prices too. Mainly because trying to get the repair parts like O rings and other parts specific to the regulator was much more difficult and expensive since they can't buy direct. The price they quoted me included that extra charge. Again, I can't speak directly to what the shop was quoting you, but I would recommend finding a shop that sells that brand and having them service the gear...it'll likely cost less. As for why they might say it needs a rebuild, typically for a complete overhaul service, the regulator is taken apart and cleaned. O rings replaced and the unit reassembled with the new rings. If the regulator hasn't been serviced for a while, its likely to be in need of an overhaul just to properly clean it up and get it ready for you.

Hope this helps a little.

I wouldn't be surprised if the LDS is a bit pissed you bought used and quoted you the worst case scenario on the rebuild. One to be spiteful as for some reason they think that you owe them a new gear purchase and two hoping they can scare you into backing out of the other purchase and get something from them direct. I can think of at least two LDS by me that would do something similar.

Most LDS I have been to actually get visibly upset if I talk about gear I didn't get through them. Either running it down or quoting ridiculous prices for regular servicing. Now when they ask what I am diving, I simply don't respond cause I know it is a loaded question. I have had similar discussions like this before:

Them: What BP are you using? Me: Oxycheq wing on a SS backplate. Them: Oh you have an Oxycheq BPW, yeah those are crappy rebranded XYZs that fail all the time.

Trips to some LDS make me wonder how they stay in business. Course they probably stay in business by praying on their customers. I feel like I need a shower after some visits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom