AHHH I don't think I can do this!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JessicaDodge

Contributor
Reaction score
I think I am going to go crazy. I am starting my open water course next week and am working on the at home stuff. I am going through SSI and really like the shop and instructors. The problem is I feel like a moron with the at home portion. I read the book, watch the movie and read the book again for each chapter. Then when I go to answer the questions I find that there are 5 or 6 out of 25 that I have no clue on... and then 3 or 4 that I am almost certain on.(these I usually find are right when I check my answers.) The rest I know. Is this normal? I can't believe that I could miss that many and be normal. I feel like I should be 100%. I mean my life depends on knowing about this stuff. I understand that textbook answers are differant from real world experience but I think the textbook part should be easy. Just wondering if anyone else had the same problems with the at home part and if so how did you do in the course?

Thanks
Jessica

about it. Just keep studying and for the things you don't know make sure you ask about them in the classroom sessions. I know you've probably heard this many times but there are no stupid questions.

Also what may not make sense to you in the textbook may sound completely logical once you hear the instructors presentation or see a demonstration.

Of course there are lots of people on scubaboard who can help you if things still aren't making any sense to you so don't be afraid to ask here either. A lot of what you will be going through once your classes start has been dealt with here in the past so don't forget to do a search on this site as well.

Be an active participant in your class--ask questions, give answers etc.

I second Jdb on this one, there are a lot of things that will make better sense when your instructor demonstrates it. Things that may seem daunting, setting up your equipment for example, are very hard to understand through text or even a video - when you can actually hold the equipment and see how it all hooks together, it makes more sense and becomes very easy in no time. Take your time and enjoy the classes - ask your instructor if you have any questions, they should be happy to help.

I remember doing that!!
the answers on the homework are word for word out of the book.
I remember going back through each chapter looking for the ones I missed. If you do it one chapter at a time it's not so overwhelming.

I did just fine with the coarse, You will too!!!

Welcome to the boards!!!

I agree that the questions come word for word from the chapters. The best way is to go chapter by chapter. I certified SSI last year. I also, found that my class bonded together and we helped each other out with the book work. You can do it. Relax and listen to the instructor. It will all fall into place.

Those questions are not a test. They are an aid to learning. Use them as such. Go back and read the material again looking for that material. When I study a new field, I find it helpful to use a highlighter when reading the text. I mark the parts I believe are important, then I study what I've marked.

Thanks everyone, especially walter. I didn't even think about the highlighting thing. I do it every day in school and have since high school but it didn't cross my mind to study this like I would history or math. I know it sounds silly but it just didn't dawn on me that it could be approched that way. DUH!!! I think that's the great thing I have found since beginning lurking and posting here. Most things that people have questions about are actually very simple but it takes someone outside the situation to point out the obvious. And even if someone doesn't have hard core advice to make it better, the support and just people saying "Yeah, that happened to me. Your not the only one." is really comforting. Thanks.

Jessica

Jessica

You're doing something very new so don't expect it all to fit into place just like that. I think when you get to the practical work in the water things will begin to fall into place nicely.

Regards

Jessica,
I am working through PADI right now and I sometimes feel the same thing you are feeling, on a smaller scale. I get to one or two questions that I just can't recall at will and then when I get it it seems so obvious, and silly. But, I guess it all has a purpose right? So just stick with it. You don't have to get 100% on anything..you just have to learn it for your own safety and that of others diving with you.

The answers are not only word for word but they are also in the correct order. Read a question. Then read the book until you find the answer. Record the answer. Read the next question and return to the book. Read until you find the next answer. Repeat. (I assume that the main idea is to make sure that you have indeed read the book.) If you read the question first and take it not one chapter but one question at a time it gets a lot easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom