Ai Transmitter On Hose, Do You Need A Spool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kairoos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
If you're screwing an AI transmitter into an HP hose instead of screwing it directly into the first stage HP port, do you need to use a spool?

I put an AI transmitter on a short HP hos. The female fitting at the end of the hose swivels, and it's leaking from that swivel portion. I had an extra spool that I put in there and it stopped leaking. Is this the proper setup for what I'm trying to do, or do I need some sort of adapter instead?

that would be correct, the HP fitting is designed seal via the oring on the spool not at the mechanical thread interconnect. With o rings on outside of each end of the tube (spool) the pressure should not actually be present at the threaded coupling, other than a little bleed by on an o-ring seal

that would be correct, the HP fitting is designed seal via the oring on the spool not at the mechanical thread interconnect. With o rings on outside of each end of the tube (spool) the pressure should not actually be present at the threaded coupling, other than a little bleed by on an o-ring seal

Perfect! So should I not put an oring on the coupling? Currently I have one on there and when it's tightened down I can just barely see that oring from the exterior. Sounds like it's fine with or without that oring?

I'm using a Suunto transmitter which came with an o-ring, I've asked the same before at the Suunto section, the o-ring isn't necessary, but its also fine to leave it there.

@hendrik - after attachment and tightening snug, the o-ring that came with the transmitter is still exposed and can be seen between the transmitter and the hose in the photo below. Is this normal? or should I remove the o-ring like in a normal SPG in the photo above and let the spool o-rings do the sealing? it's currently not leaking though, it just seems odd that the o-ring is visible. thanks
View attachment 222073

Hi,
the inner o-rings do the sealing but it's not necessary to remove the one seen there. I doubt that you can remove it without damaging it and in case you'd like to go back to the first stage attachment for whatever reason you won't be able to. So it's fine as it is.

br Hendrik

If you're screwing an AI transmitter into an HP hose instead of screwing it directly into the first stage HP port, do you need to use a spool?

I put an AI transmitter on a short HP hos. The female fitting at the end of the hose swivels, and it's leaking from that swivel portion. I had an extra spool that I put in there and it stopped leaking. Is this the proper setup for what I'm trying to do, or do I need some sort of adapter instead?

You have figured it out correctly, you need a spool, all transmitters going into a HP hose would need one. That is because of the swivel nature of the HP hose. You saw small bubbles because it was missing. Not much gas escapes from the HP port. I.e a leak in a HP hose is not a big deal, a leak in a LP is a big deal.

As for the o-ring on the transmitter - at this point it is doing nothing.

FWIW when I dove using a transmitter on a hose I also used a quick disconnect. That way I could remove the transmitter when traveling. I found that to be a nice set up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom