AI vs NON-AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Air integration means that your computer, in addition to calculating your decompression status, has information about your gas. That can be as simple as just reading out the tank pressure, or as complex as trying to calculate your remaining air time. To do this, a computer must have a way of receiving the tank pressure, and that means either being connected to the high pressure hose, or having a transmitter on the first stage that sends those data to the computer.

Putting the gauge on an HP hose means your depth, dive time and deco status are also there. Either you have to pull the gauge up constantly to check those things, or you have to secure the gauge and hose somehow across your chest where you can see it. Both approaches have downsides.

Using a transmitter makes you dependent on the ability of the transmitter and gauge to sync. This can be affected by a lot of things, including some you might not expect, like the output of certain lights. Most people who use transmitters use a backup pressure gauge as well, because of the issues with failed sync.

The advantage of air integration is that you only have to look in one place for depth, time, deco status and gas. For very new divers, having the "air time remaining" might be useful, but for most folks who dive a lot, it doesn't take long to have that as a gestalt (which may not be accurate to the second, but is good enough to keep one quite safe). In addition, air integration means your gas usage is included in the download, if you log from your computer, and it's easy to follow your air consumption rate, because the logging software will calculate it for you.

Air integrated computers are more expensive -- the transmitter type significantly more so. I bought one when I got certified. I went to a wrist computer (non AI) within a few months. A simple pressure gauge has been quite enough to allow me to keep track of my gas, and I like the computer on my wrist, where I can easily see it all the time.

I have a wireless AI computer and I find it a great convenience. I don't pay any attention to the remaining bottom time values it calculates, but I like seeing my PSI and my buddy's PSI there with my depth, time, and NDL info.

I do keep a backup SPG on my rig as well but my wireless AI has been extremely reliable.

On ascent, your inflator is typically in your left hand. Most consoles are mounted and hung on the same side. I have found that a wireless wrist mounted computer allows me to monitor my computer as I ascend without having to drop my inflator to do so. Monitoring depth and time while on the line during a safety stop only takes a glance at your wrist. I kept an analog gauge on the 1st stage for about a year.

If you use a computer that can log your dives, and download them to your computer, than an AI computer can automatically record start & end tank pressures and calculate a SAC, which makes logging pertinent dive info. easier without needing to write it down. On a high dive frequency trip like a week shore diving Bonaire, this is a nice feature.

Richard.

The automagical SAC calculation is the only thing I've found that I really miss about AI (Cobalt) vs. non-AI (Predator and Petrel). Yes, you can figure out your SAC anyway, but it requires more steps and as a result tends to happen less often and with more ballparking when it does happen.

Back
Top Bottom