Air bubbles out my nose when I breathe...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know exactly what your talking about Mbram. Its not your breathing technique or anything else your not doing right; your reg just breaths a little too easy. It probably flows air pretty bad when you remove it from your mouth at depth. Just find someone who can adjust it slightly.

kac215, thanks for the advice. I took the reg in to the LDS and told them what was going on and they fixed it. No more bubbles out my nose or air being shoved down my throat.

Sounds like your reg needs adjusted. Try using you Delta on a couple dives and see if it happens. Otherwise stick your tongue in the reg hole to stop it from feeding air. I exhale through my nose anyway so it wouldn't bother me. That's how I regulate the flow of exhaled air so as to slow down my breathing rate and to keep my mask clear. Some people complain that when they do this their mask fogs up but for some reason I don't have this problem. Probably because I dive in the Keys where the water is warm. I suspect that if you were diving in cold water it would fog up.

Same way I assume everyone else does, by tilting the bottom of the mask slightly away from my face and exhaling through my nose. This allows the water to escape from the bottom of the mask as the air displaces it.

If your point was that me saying air coming out of my nose allowed water in to the mask is counter intuitive since blowing air out of one's nose is a key element in clearing water OUT of a mask, not tilting the mask while exhaling allows the air to escape from the top of the mask, which allows water to trickle in to the mask slowly.
You might want to experiment with where your mask strap is. If you move it up higher on the back of your head, it tends to hold the top of your mask in better. Then when you exhale (intentionally or unintentionally) through your nose, the air is more likely to come out the bottom of your mask. This can also lead to hands-free mask clearing.

Back
Top Bottom