"Air Buddy" Alternate Air Source

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc, I agree with you for sure. To go forward, one must experiment. But then too, most experiments end up in the dumpster. I remember when the Army wanted to train soldiers to jump from airplanes into snow drifts without parachutes. Uh huh.....and who signed up for that one??????????????????????????

Air Buddy certainly has the right to come up with the idea and anyone has the right to like it and use it.....just as anyone has the right not to like it and not use it. That is what free enterprise is all about. Free enterprise....something dive equipment manufacturers need to re-study in my book....but lets not go there.

What I am happy to see....at least so far....is those that dont like it have not gotten vindictive or rude or curt in their replys.

So like it or hate it.....let each take their own path. I think I will pass on buying one.

rich

Open minds are great, but everything that squishes out of somebody's head isn't always a worthwhile idea.

I still can't get the image out of my mind about a having a diver run out of air, so you motion for him to latch his mouth on to this glorified bag-inflator convieniently screwed into your first stage, then rocket towards the surface with him hanging on with his teeth, alternately choking on water and sending up huge clouds of bubbles.

This is better than the Bass-O-Matic, although the market for SCUBA humor is unfortunately smaller.

The air management aspect is also really interesting. I wonder what the SAC rate for a paniced diver sucking on a bag-inflator is.

Terry

Doc Intrepid:
But sudden emergencies have this annoying habit of not proceeding as people assumed they would. You find yourself trying to do about 8 things at once with another diver on the verge of panic, swimming against current and trying to unclip this or untangle that with only one hand because the other hand is holding onto the other diver, dumping gas as you ascend if you can spare a hand to dump it, and now you're trying to do all these tasks while breathing hard off this
. . .

But it does kinda make you wonder if the person who came up with this thing has ever had to use it during some response to a chaotic sudden emergency.
Considering that the "Shark Repellant" requires that you see the shark coming and be able to shine a light in it's eye while it attacks, I wouldn't think so.

"Excuse me Mr. Shark, would you please not attack be from behind or below or from the sides or from above, since I need to shine this light in your eye. Thanks, I knew you would understand."

Terry

I take doc intrepids question of whether the inventor has ever been in a real world emergency one step further, has the inventor ever been diving? there seems to be a fair amount of theoretical knowlege quoted, but with almost no relevance to real world. I agree that inovation is great, and we can always use the proverbial better mousetrap, all to often new and improved really just means different but not better.
no air buddy for me

I would just like to point out that the original post requested feedback from anyone who has used an Air Buddy. It appears so far that my comments are the only ones that address this issue directly. I expected the usual comments from the "more posts than dives" crowd, I would; however, like to follow up to clarify a couple of key points raised.

First, the opinion I expressed that a dive is over if I have to use the octopus is just that, my opinion. In my 500 + dives, the only times this has not been true for me has been those dives when I had to use my octopus as my primary due to it freeflowing at the start of the dive. On the other hand, I don't discount the practice of those of you who use your octos as a kind of hookah system to maximize bottom time with your buddies. More power to you.

Second, the BC inflator hose mounted Air Buddy is operated exactly like every inline/integrated octopus in that it is used by the diver, who hands off their primary regulator to the out of air buddy/diver. Otherwise, they're going to have to swim really, really close.

Next, as to the question why anyone would purchase an Air Buddy when they could buy a "regular" octopus for a few dollars more, you must not have read my post completely or just didn't comprehend it. If you had, you would have noted the reasons I articulated for looking for something other than another full octopus or integrated model. Also, I have a couple extra of Mares "regular" octos if you would like to buy one.

Finally, if in your opinion this product is unsafe for use in recreational diving, and have formed this opinion without the benefit any personal experience or objective testing of this product but rather based solely upon any or all of the following reasons (1) misspellings on the manufacturer's website, (2) incredulity regarding any of the manufacturer's claims of effectiveness or performance, (3) your reasoned and thorough analysis of the physics involved based upon your advanced training as an engineer, (4) Air Buddy's uncanny resemblance to a device you purchased from a NAPA store (5) Air Buddy's uncanny resemblance to a whistle (6) your personal desire to maintain strict technical diving specifications or (7) a slavish devotion to the cult of DIR, then by all means please don't buy or use an Air Buddy, don't recommend it to any of your friends and for God's sake don't dive with anyone who uses one.

blawler1:
Finally, if in your opinion this product is unsafe for use in recreational diving, and have formed this opinion without the benefit any personal experience or objective testing of this product but rather based solely upon any or all of the following reasons (1) misspellings on the manufacturer's website, (2) incredulity regarding any of the manufacturer's claims of effectiveness or performance, (3) your reasoned and thorough analysis of the physics involved based upon your advanced training as an engineer, (4) Air Buddy's uncanny resemblance to a device you purchased from a NAPA store (5) Air Buddy's uncanny resemblance to a whistle (6) your personal desire to maintain strict technical diving specifications or (7) a slavish devotion to the cult of DIR, then by all means please don't buy or use an Air Buddy, don't recommend it to any of your friends and for God's sake don't dive with anyone who uses one.
I would like to invoke 3,4 and 5.

I vote for 1,3 and 4. "Air Buddy" is certainly a facinating application of a very old design used in a number of other applications, including those you mentioned.

However, there is no stretch of my imagination that would allow calling the replacement of a demand regulator with a manually actuated valve an improvement, any more than a crank starter on my car would be an improvement over the current battery-operated starter.

Terry

blawler1:

well i thought the posters were being nice.......never mind

blawler1:
I know what I am about to write will likely result in flames, but so what, its my opinion, but I often dive without an octo.
Well, you're starting off your argument from a defensive and unconventional perspective, but its a free country and if you want to dive without "an octo" have at it. Hope you never dive around someone else who may find themselves OOA and yank your primary from your mouth, because you may have to employ rather pursuasive techniques to get it back.

blawler1:
The way I look at it, if you are down to using the octo, the dive is over and you are just trying to get to the surface alive, which can be done safely without an octo if operating at safe depths.
The point is that it isn't about "you" so much as its about "your buddy - that partner you are diving with - AND you...which requires two second stages if one of those two divers finds themselves without air. You can "buddy breathe" off one second stage, true, if you've practiced it together. If you haven't then you're going to experience what we call "an adventure".

blawler1:
Many people forget that safety seconds are a rather recent development in diving along with BCs and two stage regulators.
It's 2006. Adding a second second stage was a "recent development" in 1979 to 1980 or so. Dacor introduced one of the first vest-type BCs in 1980 also. I bought one. That was 26 years ago. Octopus regulators are not at all "recent developments", unless your definition of "recent" means 26 years or more.

blawler1:
Octos also add bulk in packing the equipment and are another source of failure. I have had multiple octopuses free flow and have had all my air sucked out of my octo riding a DPV.
You've had "all (your) air sucked out of your octo riding a DPV"?? :confused: If you maintain your regulators even every other year and tune down your secondary second stage your regulators offer no more of a source of failure than your fins.

blawler1:
I run no octo on my backup reg that I use for bug hunting in shallow water, but got jammed on a recent trip to Aruba for not having a octo on a boat dive...
Imagine that. Those darned safety-conscious DMs. Do you dive solo? If not, what is your standard protocol if your buddy comes over to you and gives you the out of air signal? You give him your primary and both head up while you're doing a CESA?

blawler1:
You have to remember that it operates on a normal BC inflator hose and not the larger diameter hoses used in the integrated and inline octos, so its not going to replace your primary.
Good thing that during emergencies and times of physical exertion my respiratory rate goes way down and I tend to breath far more slow and relaxed than normal. I'd hate to need breathing apparatus that provides at least as much gas as effectively as my primary regardless of what depth I'm at.

blawler1:
I did not master the mouth position in the instructions (exhaling out the sides of your mouth while keeping the unit in your mouth. I would bite on it, get a breath and pull it out of my mouth to exhale.
So you needed one hand to remove your air buddy from your mouth after every inhalation so you could exhale directly into the water. Right, glad thats clear.

blawler1:
Anyway, to sum it up, the Air Buddy it adds only a few ounces over no octo at all, costs $40 and will get me on any dive boat and in a pinch, I can breath it to the surface and isn't that what an octo is all about.
No, that isn't only what an 'octo' is all about. Lets just conclude that you and I have radically different ideas about why diver's take pieces of gear with them when conducting dives and how divers plan to safely respond to emergencies during dives.

I'm glad you enjoy your air buddy. I hope you have many safe dives with it, and hope it continues to meet your needs in every respect. If the day ever comes that it doesn't, I hope there is another diver in the vicinity who bothered to bring a working secondary second stage with him or her.

I know you guys are trying to be serious, but I just can't get the image out of my head of an OOA diver coming over for air, and handing him a NAPA blower with a rubber mouthpiece.

This is so "Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner" that I originally thought it was a joke or troll.

Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Intrepid
Sagely advice from the Doc

Pretty much sums up what the rest of us were trying to say...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom