Question Air Hog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Open Ocean Diver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What do you do when your dive buddy is an air hog? Do you share air to extend the dive?

^^ No.

If you are buddy diving then he is carrying your emergency gas and you are carrying his. Seems that the diver in question used up his gas, your emergency gas, and now wants more...
If you are the gas hog you’re not saving much emergency air for your buddy.

No, though I've seen some DM's share air with air hogs on dives, I'd only do it for a real emergency or to practice briefly at the end of a dive at safe depth.

I'd encourage your buddy to see about getting a 100cf or other bigger tank. And give your buddy some tips/videos to help. One thing that helped me a lot was the simple tip to breathe in 4 seconds and breathe out 6 seconds. At first it sounds like a hassle, but actually it's not a big deal and a bit calming (a lot of meditation involves being mindful of breathing).

If you are the gas hog you’re not saving much emergency air for your body.
Correct, a diver is saving nothing for his/her buddy if they are the gas hog and running out of gas. You ALL need to bring more gas or do shorter dive times.

In short, you need to bring more emergency gas when diving with a gas hog.

@Open Ocean Diver

My first question would be why is your buddy a gas hog? Is he a new diver or just a big guy?
My wife is my buddy, I just can’t compete with how a little air she uses. We don’t share air
on deep dive but if we come up to a reef, we may share 500 psi.

My wife is my buddy, I just can’t compete with how a little air she uses. We don’t share air on deep dive but if we come up to a reef, we may share 500 psi.

So you’re the gas hog. Get a bigger tank. What are you diving now? Air sharing is not a good habit to be into.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom