Air: Is it really only for tires?

Which of the following most describes you?

• I NEVER dive air in any situation. Air is for tires.

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • I would dive Nitrox 100% of the time if it were more practical (as re: cost, availability, whatever

Votes: 127 44.1%
  • I only dive Nitrox on those dives where it's really going to give me some significant extra bottom t

Votes: 98 34.0%
  • I wouldn't characterize myself using any of the above (please explain in post).

Votes: 32 11.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King Kong Matt

Contributor
Reaction score
I know that as a group we have a wide variety of different views on this...

When you are diving within recreatioanal depth limits, do you always dive Nitrox or only dive it when you feel there is a perceived advantage in terms of extended bottom time?

Is what you do a function of the way you actually think air and/or nitrox should be used or are you often forced to sacrifice to matters of practicality?

"I only dive Nitrox on those dives where it's really going to give me some significant extra bottom time."

But I'd add the caveat that I often dive it while teaching a nitrox course where my bottom time usually is limited by the SAC rate of my student(s).

If I want/need the extra bottom time, then I'll use nitrox. If I'm diving a lot (5+ dives/day) then I'll dive nitrox. Usually I just dive air. I have the luxury of repeatedly diving some spectacular sites, so a bit more bottom time on any given dive usually isn't a concern for me.

I'll always opt for Nitrox (until I'm helium certified).

1. Increased bottom time.
2. At any given bottom time, less nitrogen loading, which means a shorter deco profile.
3. Potentially increased safety factor if you don't take full advantage of the increased bottom time.
4. I don't care what "they" say, I feel better after a nitrox dive and I remember feeling after air dives.

5. Most important, those stickers are so cool.:) :)

Funny thing about tires. Somewhere, I heard they run best on pure nitrogen. I don't know why.

except, as Leadweight indicated, if the tires are on aircraft, those get pure nitrogen. I NEVER dive air any more.

WW

:eek:ff: :crest:

Formula 1 cars run their tyres with nitrogen because its a cooler gas which is soposed to keep the tyres at a lower temp. so there is less overall tyre wear, any family car can be converted to this setup but I doubt its worth it, conversion costs $US20 a tyre or more and filling the tyre is about $US10, not to meantion how out of luck you are if you get a slow leak in the middle of no-where and you need a nitrogen top-up :confused:

As for my diving I haven't had a chance to get into nitrox yet, don't have the qualification/money, air suits my needs well for the time being :)

If I remember my HS chemistry, Nitrogen has an atomic weight of 14 while Oxygen has an atomic weight of 16.

Doesn't that mean that filling a tire to a constant pressure with 100% N2 will weigh 12.5% less than filling it to a constant pressure with 100% O2?

???

...but that's the only place I use air. Our quarry is pretty shallow and we don't stay down anywhere near NDLs anyway since it either gets boring or cold. I dive the appropriate gas mix for the depth in the ocean (usually EAN30, EAN32, or EAN36).

For me the issue of when to choose air over NITROX or air is the toughest for very shallow dives, such as a single lobster dive to 20' for 40mins, I have trouble justify the cost of NITROX for such dives, but, I guess when I choose air I'm not DIR.

For deeper dives (40' -100'), very cold water dives, working dives, repetitive dives, NITROX all the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom